loss of throttle response

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

road5630

Hello all
Just purchased a 30' Newmar class A Bay star. engine is Ford V-10. I am experiencing loss of power while accelerating. It has happened while accelerating for lane change,getting on the freeway
and while leaving the campsite. the symptom is while giving it throttle it falls flat, engine does not die RPM goes down to 1500 and will do nothing until I let off the gas and start again. no check engine lights go on. I took to ford and test drove it with their tech. man luckily it did just as I described. Now they are saying that they cannot reproduce the problem and no codes were found.
Has anyone experienced this or have an idea on the cause.

Sure sounds like a fuel filter.  I can't believe Ford Dealer wouldn't recommend that to start, especially if you don't know the history of maintenance.  That is where I would start, should be done any way you look at it, so it's not wasting money. 

Agree on the fuel filter, also could be blockage in the exhaust system. To check start the vehicle have someone advance the throttle slowly while you check the exhaust flow it should increase as the RPM goes up. If you do not know the history could be restricted catalytic converter.

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention this is a 2019 bought it new. It had 2000 miles on it because they drive them out from Indiana.
Not sure if the fuel filter would go out that fast? but will ask the service adviser. I will check the exhaust to rule it out. I thought it might have been
a TPS issue? The RV dealer thought it might be the tranny.

sc4668 said:
Just take to the Ford dealer no reason for you to worry about fixing yourself.

I agree, let the Dealer sort it out.  Good luck, and maybe take it to a different Ford Dealer if you can.  Being brand new, it could be anything, even computer monitoring system related.

Side note, there's not a chance some bad gas got in there? 

road5630 said:
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention this is a 2019 bought it new. It had 2000 miles on it because they drive them out from Indiana.
Not sure if the fuel filter would go out that fast? but will ask the service adviser. I will check the exhaust to rule it out. I thought it might have been
a TPS issue? The RV dealer thought it might be the tranny.

If it was an older unit I would agree with the Cat converter for sure. Being new...For sure a warranty/dealer issue to figure out. 

Pretty sure there is an "over rev" feature in the electronics "ECU" that will not allow it to rev past 1500 or go into a limp home mode if the motor has not reached operating temp or is not put into gear...or something like that.... Seems to me the Ford garage should not just fluff it off, but maybe start by checking all the inputs and such.. even replacing the heat sensor or Brain with another to zero in on this problem ..this could well be a significant safety issue and needs fixed...

Sorry for the slow come back and thanks again for all of your  input. I wish Ford was capable of fixing it. When I took the tech. man out I showed him what it was doing sat on lot for week
they claim it wouldn't do it for them. When I picked it up it did right away? I was also experiencing a vibration at 55 miles per hr. I was told by the RV dealer that it was a king pin problem (I thought the tires were out of balance) Ford dealer said it was the tires paid $110. to balance problem is still active. So after driving 120 miles to have it fixed I am back at square one. I agree with you guys need to take to a different dealer. Will let you know what the problem was when or if they fix it.

I think the accelerator is electronic, not the old linkage or cable attachment type, so it should be throwing a code (when it occurs).>>>Dan  Isn't progress grand?>>>

Back
Top Bottom