Inverter installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is there any problem with not mounting my inverter behind my fridge, there isn't alot of room there and it barely fit the way it was in there?

I'd like to eventually get a bigger one anway.

I was thinking of mounting it next to my converter, plenty of airflow there as well I would think.

If we are talking about a larger inverter (i.e. 2000 watts), the major consideration is keeping the cables as short as possible between the battery and inverter.  Secondary consideration would be heat.

JDOnTheGo said:
If we are talking about a larger inverter (i.e. 2000 watts), the major consideration is keeping the cables as short as possible between the battery and inverter.  Secondary consideration would be heat.

Thanks

Is there any problem with NOT mounting the inverter behind ther fridgr?  NO
Is there a problem with MOUNTING the inverter behind the fridge.. Possibly.  Depends on teh fridge

Best to mount it in the compartment NEXT to the batterier cause those big HEAVY 00 ot bigger copper cabled are EXPENSIVE...  12 ga Romex (or 10 ga on a 2KW box) way cheaper per foot.

Well through my experience u need a gas refer a 12v inverter will wear down your batteries pretty fast so you will need some thing to keep them charged ie generator with that said you can buy a generator that will handle it or change to gas. I personally would not use an inverter.

1930 said:
Is there any problem with not mounting my inverter behind my fridge, there isn't alot of room there and it barely fit the way it was in there?

I'd like to eventually get a bigger one anway.

I was thinking of mounting it next to my converter, plenty of airflow there as well I would think.
More details would help give more informed replies. 
--  Why would you want to install an inverter behind your fridge?  Did you install a residential fridge and need an inverter to power it?
--  It seems problematic to mount a large inverter behind the fridge and then route the large cables from the batteries into the fridge compartment.

Jenna8 said:
Well through my experience u need a gas refer a 12v inverter will wear down your batteries pretty fast so you will need some thing to keep them charged ie generator with that said you can buy a generator that will handle it or change to gas. I personally would not use an inverter.
But many of us do, and it's not a problem -- it's a matter of individual needs and desires.

A power inverter converts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC, the batteries are put in the circuit so power is high enough during idle (you will need a 100 amp alternator). If you do not know enough about electricity to answer these questions it is probably best to go to an RV center and have them do it with a professional and a warranty.

It's best to put the inverter as close to the batteries as you can, but not in the same compartment due to battery gasses.  Then run the 120 volt output to where you need it.

The 12 volt side needs thick, short wires between the inverter and the batteries to minimize voltage loss.  First, you're drawing 10 times as much current through the 12 volt wires so they have to be 10 times larger than 120 volt wires carrying the same amount of power.

Next, voltage loss is directly proportional to the length of the wire and at 12 volts you only have 1/10th as much voltage to start with, so each 0.1 volt of voltage loss is 10 times more significant than it is at 120 volts.  10x as much current with 1/10th as much source voltage makes the 12 volt wiring 100 times more vulnerable to wire loss than the 120 volt side.

That's why it's best to position the inverter where you can use the minimum length of 12 volt wiring between the inverter and the batteries, then extend the 120 volt wiring to where you need it.

It's the same principle why power companies use as high of a voltage as possible on their long distance power lines.

Back
Top Bottom