Yellowstone/Grand Teton Bicycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Hi all! So making our plans to drone the motor home to Yellowstone and Frand Teton this summer.  Getting their family or their bicycles for Christmas. Any suggestions on bike trails for Yellowstone and Grand Teton for biking with the family? From what I have seen online Grand Teton offers a lot more options.....but what do I know.....thanks in advance everyone.

Mike

There is a really nice bike trail in the Teton area, but Yellowstone, no.  Some trails, like the Fair Falls, you can ride bike to the trial but the last bit, no bikes.  Lonestar Geyser, you can ride most of the way, but not all the way.  There are racks you can lock to though.  The roads in Yellowstone are 2 lane, no bike lane, so If I read right you have kids.  If they are competent riders, used to riding in traffic, maybe, but as a rider who has thousands or road miles, I was nervous about riding park roads, and I lived AT Old Faithful for 10 years.

I agree with Bill that the Yellowstone roads are scary for even experienced adult road riders. He is also right about wonderful trails in Grand Tetons.

Grand Canyon has wonderful bike trails, but I was told the reason Yellowstone does not is the bears.  One ranger near Fishing Bridge told me employees do not even jog on walking trails, but choose to run alongside the main roadway because it is safer from bears. 

And also Yellowstone has almost no shoulders on their roadways--maybe a foot of asphalt, but no more.  Plus, there are lots of people driving around in RVs with wide mirrors, so you would not want to ride along the side of the road anyway.  It would be much too dangerous even for adults, let alone older children to ride on the shoulders. 

Grand Teton has cycling paths, none that I could see in Yellowstone.

Also bear in mind people driving are sightseeing and will not always see cyclists.  We saw a motor home driven off the road this year probably due to that.

Be safe... and have fun, these are beautiful places.

I do have friends who bike Yellowstone every year in the late spring just before they open the roads to cars after the snow. It is only a very short period, maybe just a weekend, but she says it is a tremendous ride.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom