Extend-A-Stay type of LPG connectors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerD

Looks like we're not going to be able to close on a new house before we have to move out of this one... :eek: It looks like we're going to be in the RV for 2-3 weeks...maybe a bit longer.

So...rather than try to live on the small tank in the motorhome and have to drive to refill every few days, what kind of installation is going to be necessary for one of the various adapters that will allow me to connect to a 5 gallon (20 lb) tank? I have a couple of those that won't be in use until after we move...and those would be much easier to get refilled.
Can I just connect to the tank fill valve on the Winnebago...or will I have to delve into the LPG plumbing and install it after the tank?

I REALLY don't want to have to do a permanent installation kind of thing since we're planning on selling this rig come spring...

Thanks.

The Extend-A-Stay and similar fittings install between the tank service valve and the regulator. You just unscrew the POL fitting (left hand thread!) from the turned off service valve, move the regulator back to make room, screw in the E-A-S POL fitting, and then screw in the original POL fitting to the E-A-S. After that, it's just a matter of attaching the included hose to the E-A-S and attaching the other end to your 20 lb cylinder. I suggest filling the onboard tank and then leaving it shut off, running on the portable cylinders, switching to the onboard tank only while you're getting the cylinders refilled. I don't know what size your motorhome is, but we heat our 34' Class A plus heating water and cooking for about 3-4 days on a 30 lb cylinder with 20 degrees F. night time temps.

I'll just add that if there's a flexible hose from your regulator to the coach piping, you may be able to just unscrew the regulator from the service valve and connect it directly to your 20 lb cylinder.

DearMissMermaid said:
See extend-a-stay kits at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=propane+extend+a+stay+kit&sprefix=propane+extend+a+stay,garden,176&crid=14O2B7JI4C6QU&

Yes, I?ve seen lots of them, at Amazon and elsewhere...just asking about connecting them.
I was HOPING that I simply connected them to the rv?s tank fill connector.

BoomerD said:
Yes, I?ve seen lots of them, at Amazon and elsewhere...just asking about connecting them.
I was HOPING that I simply connected them to the rv?s tank fill connector.

That would actually be a poor way to connect the external cylinder since it wouldn't give you any way to choose between sources. When you ran out of propane, both the tank and the cylinder would be empty. Installing the fitting between the service valve and the regulator usually only takes about 15-20 minutes at the most. And you could easily remove it again when you're ready to sell the RV. Or leave it in place as an additional selling feature...  ;)

NY_Dutch said:
That would actually be a poor way to connect the external cylinder since it wouldn't give you any way to choose between sources. When you ran out of propane, both the tank and the cylinder would be empty. Installing the fitting between the service valve and the regulator usually only takes about 15-20 minutes at the most. And you could easily remove it again when you're ready to sell the RV. Or leave it in place as an additional selling feature...  ;)

<sigh> you?re right,  of course...I?m just lazy...and with having tp pack and move...I?m up to my armpits in alligators...and the darned swamp still isn?t draining... ;D

BoomerD said:
<sigh> you?re right,  of course...I?m just lazy...and with having tp pack and move...I?m up to my armpits in alligators...and the darned swamp still isn?t draining... ;D

Yep, I remember that feeling, and I wish you best getting past it!  ;)

NY_Dutch said:
That would actually be a poor way to connect the external cylinder since it wouldn't give you any way to choose between sources.

I have used the Extend-a-stay and I absolutly have the ability to select which tank propane is drawn from when I have an external tank hooked up... Surprised you can not think of a way to do it (Shut off the tank you DO NOT want propane drawn from)

True I do have to go out and "Switch" but... I can say have half a tank "on board' an swich over. then when the luggable is dry switch back while I jog to the refill place.

John From Detroit said:
I have used the Extend-a-stay and I absolutly have the ability to select which tank propane is drawn from when I have an external tank hooked up... Surprised you can not think of a way to do it (Shut off the tank you DO NOT want propane drawn from)

True I do have to go out and "Switch" but... I can say have half a tank "on board' an swich over. then when the luggable is dry switch back while I jog to the refill place.

John, if you would actually READ the posts in a thread before jumping in for a change, you would know that I was responding to BoomerD's mention of connecting to the ACME fill valve instead of a service valve connected Extend-A-Stay.

I'm asking these questions because my propane tank is in the center of the RV running front to back. So accessing it involve squeezing and crawling under the motorhome and hoping I don't need to involve the fire department.

Does the Extend A Stay have check valves to prevent back feeding the on board tank? If I left the supply hose for a remote tank hooked up to the extend a stay without a tank hooked up, would I need a valve to prevent propane from flowing out if using just the on board tank?

Having run out of propane on my last trip I want to install one of these. Just trying to get an idea of what will be involved on an install on my RV.

Thanks

Short answer to your question is YES it does.

However a a safety measure I'd stil cap or plug any unused openings.

IE if you hook hoses to it full time I'd cap the male outlet on the "Grill" hose and cap or otherwise plug the "Aux Tank" line. or use hard line to extend to a connection point for the "Aux" hose and plug that.

NY_Dutch said:
I have a brass POL cap I screw onto the Extend-A-Stay hose fitting when it's not attached to a cylinder.

Damn, I've been taking the hose off and replacing the little inverted flare plug every time I move because I didn't trust that check valve.  Never thought of finding a cap(ME1699 Marshall).  Less that $6 too.  Thanks, Dutch.

Old_Crow said:
Damn, I've been taking the hose off and replacing the little inverted flare plug every time I move because I didn't trust that check valve.  Never thought of finding a cap(ME1699 Marshall).  Less that $6 too.  Thanks, Dutch.

Keep a close eye on it, Wally. Two propane dealers told me no such cap exists...  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
Keep a close eye on it, Wally. Two propane dealers told me no such cap exists...  ;D

Well, they are, after all, propane salesmen.  What can you expect?

There's even one available from one of the forum sponsors:  https://www.rvupgradestore.com/POL-Cap-p/66-8748.htm

I ended up buying this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1C59X1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arrived the day we pulled out. It's still in the box on the floor board of my pickup...and since we're probably going to sell this thing come spring, the propane adapter will probably get returned.
To my great surprise, with the use of electric heaters, we are just sipping propane. My motorhome's LPG level system is wonky...after a week, it showed we were down to about 1/3 left, so I packed up and went to fill...took just over 5 gallons.. almost a week later, it's still showing 2/3 full, and HOPEFULLY, we'll be out of here in 3-4 days.

Thanks to all for the input and advice.

Back
Top Bottom