Some basic Flying J questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Does one have to be a member of Good Sam's go receive a RV Plus Card?
If any Flying J location lists that they have RV fuel lanes, would that be for either gas or diesel?
Can you use the card to fuel without having the pump stop at some predetermined price?

Finally, if you're a Flying J member do you consider it a worthwhile investment?

The RV Plus card does require a Good Sam membership. Keep in mind the Plus card is a charge card, not a credit card, with payments drawn directly from your bank account. A Good Sam "Swipe & Save" membership card on the other hand, gets the same discounts at PFJ while letting you also use a credit card that has its own rebate program. For example, we use our Good Sam card at PFJ to get the initial $0.05 discount on gas, and pay with our PenFed Visa Cash Rewards card that credits our account with an additional 5% rebate. The Plus card would only give us the $0.05 discount.

The PFJ RV lanes have both gas and diesel pumps, although many RV'ers still prefer using the truck side diesel pumps for the higher delivery rate.

We consider fueling up at PFJ locations worthwhile for the convenience, but not the Plus card.

Agree with what Dutch says.  Get a Good Sam Card, get the nickel discount, then use your credit card to get other discounts available.  I have a gasser, so can't use the truck pumps which are only diesel.  Prefer Flying J over Pilot as FJ has more wiggle room to get into and out of the pump area, especially if you have a toad.  Which brings up a point.  Gas Buddy was on the Forum a while back asking for suggestions and talked about putting an app in for RVers which would also show how much room there is to get in and out of the pump.  Haven't seen anything.  Anyone heard anything?

Thanks much for the details! All this was not clear to me when reading the info on the FJ site-- but of course they're going to do all the can to steer you into their system. I've been averse to dealing with Good Sam primarily due my inability to get them to stop flooding my inbox with their email promoting one thing or the other and I can't even remember when I might have given them my email address.

I'll have to take another look at the GS benefits-- using one of my "spam" email addresses if it seems worthwhile of course.  ;)

NY_Dutch said:
The RV Plus card does require a Good Sam membership. Keep in mind the Plus card is a charge card, not a credit card, with payments drawn directly from your bank account. A Good Sam "Swipe & Save" membership card on the other hand, gets the same discounts at PFJ while letting you also use a credit card that has its own rebate program. For example, we use our Good Sam card at PFJ to get the initial $0.05 discount on gas, and pay with our PenFed Visa Cash Rewards card that credits our account with an additional 5% rebate. The Plus card would only give us the $0.05 discount.

The PFJ RV lanes have both gas and diesel pumps, although many RV'ers still prefer using the truck side diesel pumps for the higher delivery rate.

We consider fueling up at PFJ locations worthwhile for the convenience, but not the Plus card.

In answer to the other question I have never been in a Flying J where the RV Island did not include both gas and diesel.  Their only problem is that about half the time the propane tank is on the wrong side.

Cooperhawk said:
In answer to the other question I have never been in a Flying J where the RV Island did not include both gas and diesel.  Their only problem is that about half the time the propane tank is on the wrong side.
Cooperhawk
Which side is the "wrong" side?
For my coach the right side is "wrong" side.... and the left side is the "right" side.

I don?t look at the Flying J card as a good investment in terms of money, but it is a good investment in terms of time. The stations are right on the interstates I frequently travel, and very convenient. I use the card to get the ?cash? price at the pump plus the additional discount. I don?t use my credit cards because they all cut off at a limit, generally $75. That doesn?t come close to filling up my motorhome for the 50 or so gallons I usually put in it (I generally try to fill at half a tank or so). As for RV islands, yes, they have both diesel and gasoline. However we find it much easier to fill at the truck lanes with a diesel vehicle. The truck lanes are at a higher flow rate.

I have a Flying J/Good Sam card and this summer, in over 6,000 miles of traveling, we used it exactly once.  I use the TruckerPath app to find independent truck stops and gas stations with truck diesel pumps.  Virtually without exception they are less crowded and have lower prices than Flying J (and the other major truck stops) even with the Flying J discount card.  The difference between the major truck stops and independent stations sometimes just on the other side of the interstate was often 20-30 cents per gallon.

I'm not talking about running all over creation to find low prices using GasBuddy.  I'm talking about stations on my route of travel.  TruckerPath pretty much identifies every station with a truck pump and places that install those pumps usually have enough sense to provide suitable access.  If I have any question I use Google satellite and street view before going in. 

mel s said:
Cooperhawk
Which side is the "wrong" side?
For my coach the right side is "wrong" side.... and the left side is the "right" side.

That's the wrong side my friend.  OK, just kidding.  We've had two coaches and both tanks were on the right side.
Well, the glass is half empty.  Half are right and half are wrong.

We use Flying J whenever we can.  I get the GS discount as well as a discount on our credit card.  Of course sometimes we have to use a truck stop, but those high speed nozzles don't work well in our coach.

Used to be Flying Js had great restaurants with buffets. The fried chicken was usually good and the peach cobbler was always good. Now most are Denny's.  Denny's is all right, but not as good.

I spend hundreds of dollars every month in Flying J.  They have good access.  I get 7 cents discount.  It is lower than anything around the same area. RV pumps away are very helpful.  I notice there are many FWs and MHs using them.  However, in my own state, WI, the state refuses to authorize the discount.  Don't me ask me why.

UTTransplant said:
I don?t look at the Flying J card as a good investment in terms of money, but it is a good investment in terms of time. The stations are right on the interstates I frequently travel, and very convenient. I use the card to get the ?cash? price at the pump plus the additional discount. I don?t use my credit cards because they all cut off at a limit, generally $75. That doesn?t come close to filling up my motorhome for the 50 or so gallons I usually put in it (I generally try to fill at half a tank or so). As for RV islands, yes, they have both diesel and gasoline. However we find it much easier to fill at the truck lanes with a diesel vehicle. The truck lanes are at a higher flow rate.

What credit card stops at $75.00 that used to be the norm but not a Flying J. I have never hit a stop on Visa or MC

jymbee said:
Does one have to be a member of Good Sam's go receive a RV Plus Card?
If any Flying J location lists that they have RV fuel lanes, would that be for either gas or diesel?
Can you use the card to fuel without having the pump stop at some predetermined price?

Finally, if you're a Flying J member do you consider it a worthwhile investment?

In order.. I used to have a flying J RV loyality card but the Good Sam's card does me more good at the pump. so now I use it.

Yes. RV lanes have both gas and diesel.. What they may also have is tight corners so be careful. they have high pressure air.. if that is they have air and one of 'em has a dump station (Small fee)  If the lanes look "Uncomfortable" use an auto pump for gas card still works.

The pump may stop at some predetermined point. The station manager will yammer something about "The credit card company insists" but it is station policy and varies from station to station.

I've had it stop at 70 Dollars 75 and when the tank is full. 

I consider it worthwhile.

I am a Good Sam member.  I have yet to successfully use my Good Sam card at the pump to get the discount.  Each time I need to go inside.  Is this typical?  Thanks. 

I have a Good Sam membership. I do get the fuel discount at Pilot and Fly J also. Besides the fuel discounts on our last trip we saved over $100 on camping spots. This last trip more than payed for the 2 year membership of $70.

All of this to say is the membership will pay for its self pretty quickly.  I am not a fan of Camping World or of Good Sam but if it will save me on our trip expenses I'll give it a try.

I always thought one had to go inside to get the GS discount on fuel. I?ll have to try it at the pump next time. There is also a small discount on the dump station fee - $7.50 with GS. $10 regular. 

To quantify the diesel pump rates - I talked with a FJ manager a year or so ago.  The car island / RV lane diesel pumps at a flow rate of 5 gal / min.  The truck lane pumps are 50 gal / min pumps.  If you need 100 gal, it is 2 minutes to fill at the truck pump or 20 minutes to fill at the RV pump.  The choice is yours.

Back
Top Bottom