Some basic Flying J questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been in gas lanes where the credit card stopped at $75 or some such amount before I was through filling.

It's a hassle, but I just re-inserted the card and started the next fill.

It always let me do that, so I never had to drive away with just $75 in gas.

I haven't used it in a while but we do have an RV Plus card which  is a charge card and they withdraw from the bank once a month.  No problems with that.  IIRC I just put that card in at the pump and also put in a pin # and there is no limit on the amount of the charge (like the $75 mentioned).  We are planning another trip this summer which will probably be our last and Flying J/Pilot stations are pretty well spotted along the route but few have the RV lanes at the gas pumps.  Have only seen two like that.  Have passed by one that had the gas pumps situated so that when crowded there was no maneuver room.  But the next door station was 6 cents cheaper anyway.....lol

Bill

I try to use PFJ almost exclusively. I love their RV lanes with pumps on both sides, usually easy in and out. I also use their charge card, because it lets me fill my tank without shutting down at $75 or $100, which happens when using my MC. I also use their app for planning my fuel stops along the way and can check their prices and restaurants beforehand.  I check Gas Buddy for fuel prices and found most stations near to the PFJ all have the same prices. Almost like price fixing!

I have had no problems using the card at the pump. or entering the number manually either (other than it's a lot o digits to enter manually).. The only problem I have is from Nov through mid-april there is no Flying-J / Pilot in range to gas up.. Just a loves.. Summer's I pass Pilot every 2 weeks.

In Wisconsin, the GoodSam card does not give a discount at Pilot or Flying J.  The cashier said there was a law against it.  It happened to me twice, the second time I asked about it.

And sometimes, there is a Pilot station for diesel, and a Road Ranger for gas.  No discount there either.

My Sam's master card gets me 5% back on gas.

thelazyl said:
I am a Good Sam member.  I have yet to successfully use my Good Sam card at the pump to get the discount.  Each time I need to go inside.  Is this typical?  Thanks.
Did you go to the web site and activate your card? Did you verify what your "pin" is and that it matched what is listed for your card at the web site?
Bill

Senator said:
In Wisconsin, the GoodSam card does not give a discount at Pilot or Flying J.  The cashier said there was a law against it.  It happened to me twice, the second time I asked about it.

And sometimes, there is a Pilot station for diesel, and a Road Ranger for gas.  No discount there either.

My Sam's master card gets me 5% back on gas.

The Wisconsin discount prohibition is an archaic 1939 law that mandates minimum retail gas pricing at 9% above cost. Here's an article from the Wisconsin State Journal about it:

https://madison.com/wsj/news/opinion/editorial/state-shouldn-t-ban-discounts-for-consumers/article_3096628c-14fa-5e88-8b28-11d7a5482fbb.html

When you see a station with Pilot diesel and another brand of gas, that's an independent retailer that simply buys diesel from Pilot. Some also buy both fuels from Pilot, but either way, they have no obligation to honor the PFJ discounts.

Just this week, gas at one of the truck stops was $2.59.  The regular gas station down the road was $239.  So the good sam card didnt help.  I find regular gas stations are usually lower price, UNLESS we are in an area with lots of truck stops.  I dont go looking for lower prices but when its just down the road I'll go there. 

As for gas buddy , Im finding GB listed prices are lower than the actual price.( especially in a city)    I've kind of given up on it. 

rvwanderer1 said:
Just this week, gas at one of the truck stops was $2.59.  The regular gas station down the road was $239.  So the good sam card didnt help.  I find regular gas stations are usually lower price, UNLESS we are in an area with lots of truck stops.  I dont go looking for lower prices but when its just down the road I'll go there. 

As for gas buddy , Im finding GB listed prices are lower than the actual price.( especially in a city)    I've kind of given up on it. 

Gas Buddy prices are only as accurate as the people reporting them. I update GB via the app every chance I get...

rvwanderer1 said:
Just this week, gas at one of the truck stops was $2.59.  The regular gas station down the road was $2.39.  So the good sam card didnt help.  I find regular gas stations are usually lower price, UNLESS we are in an area with lots of truck stops.  I dont go looking for lower prices but when its just down the road I'll go there. 

That is consistent with my findings all summer and with my previous post.  It's my understanding that trucks from the major companies aren't paying the posted prices at the major truck stops.  They have corporate accounts and they are getting significant discounts.  That's why there often is such a large price difference between the "majors" and nearby independent truck stops.

NY_Dutch said:
Gas Buddy prices are only as accurate as the people reporting them. I update GB via the app every chance I get...

I used to.  I hit the maximum number of levels and it's not as much fun...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom