Cleaning roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends upon what type roof material you have, and how dirty it is.  Ours is TPO, and I just use Palmolive liquid dish soap with a scrub brush once a year.  We store it inside from December 1st to end of March in a temperature controlled warehouse, so it doesn't get that dirty.  However, this year, because of the extremely wet summer, had aphids drop their stuff on it which is very sticky and I guess sweet, because the yellow jackets and flys swarmed all over it.  Really got dirty.  I only used the Palmolive to clean it, did an okay job, would like to see it whiter.  Maybe someone with more experience can offer a better cleaning material.  I was thinking about a product like Clorox bathroom cleaning fluid, but gun-shy about using bleach on TPO.

Our roof is TPO and I use a mixture of Dawn and bleach in hot water.  We've had the RV for over 17 years, never been stored under cover and the roof still looks about 90% of new.

A couple glugs of Simple Green in a five gallon bucket of water, with a splash of bleach added - works on the roof and awning.

Interesting question..ours is Fiberglass and we are 2nd owner.  Got up top & was really dirty. Was thinking might need something strong.  IF it is waxed, products like Dawn will remove wax.  I used a marine (boat) wash, they do not remove wax on fiberglass.  On a few spots used marine deck cleaner (it will remove wax). Not wanting to wax/buff I cheated and used Woody Wax on wet brush and once dry a very light towel removes residue.  Woody is expensive, but it holds up well on my boats..hoping it will do same on MH. 

I never worried much about waxing my fiberglass roof, but 20 minutes with a liquid floor wax (after washing) does the trick if you want some extra dirt-shedding capability.  Seems to last 2-3 months, which isn't bad for a surface exposed to weather.

Rene T said:
Bruce, is that beach sand?  :eek: ::) :-\ ;D :D

LOL! Yes beach sand is the secret ingredient, it helps to scrub the dirt and grime away.  Actually it was first day with my new fingers. Corrected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom