You guys are great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugford

I'm new to the forum, and there is a LOT of great information here.  It seems like just about every possible question that can be asked, has already been asked, but I am hoping for some wisdom about this particular scenario:

Winnebago Mini 2401rg
Gvwr #7000
Dry #5220
Tongue #650
Length 27' 11"

Ford Expedition
Tow capacity #9200
Payload #1850
Factory hd towing package
All disc brakes
Wheel base 119"

Both the wife and the dog strongly favor suv over truck.  It is just the three of us plus gear.  Am I missing anything?  Thanks!

You will be fine.  That Expedition might groan going up a long hill, but if it's in good mechanical condition, you will be fine.  I'm usually one to say on a 1/2ton to keep under 25', but that Expedition has a good stance and weight ratio.  I would try to keep gvwr of TT closer to 6500#.  Get yourself a good WD hitch as well.  This setup is a bit more than I would do with my Yukon XL, 5.3L, but I only have 8100# tow capacity and a little less payload. 

You have done your homework well!  You appear to be within all weight limits.  Note the tongue wt wii be closer to 750# or more, but that is still within expected limits.

Enjoy Camping!

Bugford said:
I'm new to the forum, and there is a LOT of great information here.

Bugford, I agree 100% with you about the treasure trove of great info on this board.  For us new guys being able to ask these Veterans of RV life questions about equipment etc. and get sound advice is priceless.  These are big purchases both in Size and $$.  I have to get it right the first time, because I am not going back to work  :D I know for me I am thankful for their time they take to answer.  Experience is the best teacher, and right now I have none.

Bugford said:
I'm new to the forum, and there is a LOT of great information here.  It seems like just about every possible question that can be asked, has already been asked, but I am hoping for some wisdom about this particular scenario:

Winnebago Mini 2401rg
Gvwr #7000
Dry #5220
Tongue #650
Length 27' 11"

Ford Expedition
Tow capacity #9200
Payload #1850
Factory hd towing package
All disc brakes
Wheel base 119"

Both the wife and the dog strongly favor suv over truck.  It is just the three of us plus gear.  Am I missing anything?  Thanks!

Welcome! How are you liking your Winnie? We are looking into the Micro Minnie's and are wondering about quality and longevity. We are from NY so we would not be using it full time yet.

LarryL60 said:
Welcome! How are you liking your Winnie? We are looking into the Micro Minnie's and are wondering about quality and longevity. We are from NY so we would not be using it full time yet.

So we bought the Expediton, but will not buy the trailer until this summer.  Besides the Minnie, there are a couple of other trailers we are looking into.  But we keep coming back to the Minnie.  As far as the quality and longevity, it seems (to us) above average in that size range.  But name a brand, and there are owners out there who hate it.  So we are going into this with our eyes wide open -- hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst.  I've always camped in a tent ... so how bad can this be?!  :)

I really like that Winnie.  One thing I found that started playing into my decision.  I'm 6'2" guy, 74".  Not all interior TT interior heights are the same.  Many are 78", this Winnie is 77".  I ended up going with my Puma because it was 82".  Most average size people, this does not matter at all, including my 5'2" wife.  Get a little tall like me, it gets weird having the ceiling so close when walking. Other than that, really like the trailer, keep us posted on your adventure.

While you are waiting for summer, keep scouring local ads (and maybe reach out a bit further from where you live) for trailers for sale too. You might find someone selling a 3-4 year old unit that meets your needs and has been well maintained, and you can a bunch of money up front by going that route.

Bugford said:
I've always camped in a tent ... so how bad can this be?!  :)

Haha, good point. Although just remember that every "comfort" offered by an RV can break or needs maintenance eventually. That's the only downside, but well worth it to everyone at this forum!

Bugford said:
I've always camped in a tent ... so how bad can this be?!  :)

Been there!  Graduated from a tent to a '70 model pop up.  Finally decided if I had to go outside to get to the toilet, I wasn't going!  Love the RV!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom