On Demand Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

I have been researching somewhat on demand water heaters made specifically for motorhome and seems I have but 3 to choose from, Precision, Suburban and, Girard. The Girard II is the second version and has some of the same complaints the first model had, Precision has an rating of 4 out of 5 but, still has it's problems too and is twice the price of the Girard,the Suburban I have not researched yet. Let me know how your conversions are holding up

Some additional brands listed in this article:

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tankless-water-heaters-reviewed/

I personally don't see much value in the tankless type. There are usability drawbacks in the on-demand type that [in my opinion] don't justify the modest savings in LP or electric or the cost of replacing an existing tank-type heater.  If minimal power consumption is your goal, simply turn off the tank-type heater when not needed. It doesn't take long to reheat a 6 gallon tank unless it is stone cold (and it won't be 98% of the time).  If you are looking for unlimited hot water, read the reviews from tankless owners and decide if the advertising is factual or wishful.

yes Gary, I did read this article, don't know how a chimney type would work in the coach. I was hoping Girard got theirs working like they say it should, not so. There's one out there called Truma that's supposed to be top notch but at 2200.00 and up installed its way past my practical thinking and not may reviews. You can't buy it outright, company certified techs only. I would like longer running showers but, its not the end of the world doing the submarine shower.

I would just put a 12 gallon standard version in. Unless you need to take 30 minute showers it's more than adequate. If you run gas and electric together it has a fairly quick recovery as well.

I had an on demand in the Winnebago Trend and hated it.  Scalding hot to freezing cold in nano-seconds with no room to dodge in the shower.  I had mine changed out to a tank and am doing fine.  I turn it on about 1/2 hour before I need it, and it gets plenty hot for a shower.  In the summer, I can have enough hot water for a shower at night and still have sufficiently warm water to wash in the morning too.  Maybe they work in a house, but not in my rv!

Back2PA said:
I would just put a 12 gallon standard version in. Unless you need to take 30 minute showers it's more than adequate. If you run gas and electric together it has a fairly quick recovery as well.
If I had room for the 12 gallon, I sure would install that, I will keep what I have

Get an Atwood XT heater. They provide about 9 gallons of usable hot water from a physically 6 gallon tank. Basically it superheats the tank water and then blends cool water at the tank outlet to bring it down to standard RV heater temperature (about 130). That effectively gives you 50% more hot water in the same space.

https://www.campingworld.com/atwood-xt-water-heater-6-gallon-lp-120v-dsi

I spent 8 years with a 6 gallon hot water tank. I have super long hair and managed to shower and shampoo.

I only ran out of hot water once. I was super sick and stayed in the shower until the hot water ran out.

I kept my hot water turned up full blast so I had more.

Also I cooked at home and washed a mountain of dishes with hot water.

I had propane heater but added the electric kit for ease and convenience.

If super long wasteful showers are your goal, then do like the others do in your shoes, use the campground showers.  ;D

DearMissMermaid said:
I spent 8 years with a 6 gallon hot water tank. I have super long hair and managed to shower and shampoo.

I only ran out of hot water once. I was super sick and stayed in the shower until the hot water ran out.

I kept my hot water turned up full blast so I had more.

Also I cooked at home and washed a mountain of dishes with hot water.

I had propane heater but added the electric kit for ease and convenience.

If super long wasteful showers are your goal, then do like the others do in your shoes, use the campground showers.  ;D
I don't look at longer showers being wasteful, I also did not say super long. If someone is going to start governing how long someone should take a shower then I have lost my freedom. Sometimes when I am cold and need a shower, its nice to stand under the hot water for a while, my choice. Mine does have the 1400 watt electric element in heater also

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Get an Atwood XT heater. They provide about 9 gallons of usable hot water from a physically 6 gallon tank. Basically it superheats the tank water and then blends cool water at the tank outlet to bring it down to standard RV heater temperature (about 130). That effectively gives you 50% more hot water in the same space.

https://www.campingworld.com/atwood-xt-water-heater-6-gallon-lp-120v-dsi
I like this idea, no cutting a larger hole

I have the girard II it has a temp control that goes from white to pink to red so it takes some adjustment to get a good temperature.
The version 3 has a led display and up/down arrows to adjust the outgoing temperature. 
There are some drawbacks you will need a 2 handle shower valve and it needs continuous water supply.

glen54737 said:
I have the girard II it has a temp control that goes from white to pink to red so it takes some adjustment to get a good temperature.
The version 3 has a led display and up/down arrows to adjust the outgoing temperature. 
There are some drawbacks you will need a 2 handle shower valve and it needs continuous water supply.
was unfamiliar with Girard III

they made a gswh-1 then gswh-1M then a gswh-2
I had the gswh-1 and it was terrible it had to heat settings HOT and VERY HOT. It was difficult to get enough flow to keep the temperature from tripping the shutoff.
I screwed up the winterizing and got a gswh-1m it has a variable temp control which works ok.

glen54737 said:
they made a gswh-1 then gswh-1M then a gswh-2
I had the gswh-1 and it was terrible it had to heat settings HOT and VERY HOT. It was difficult to get enough flow to keep the temperature from tripping the shutoff.
I screwed up the winterizing and got a gswh-1m it has a variable temp control which works ok.
I read plenty of bad reviews on the 3 generation

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom