Self-adjusting or manually adjustable brakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moshe1436

What do most travel trailer owners prefer: Self-adjusting brakes or manually adjustable brakes.  I have a 2014 Salem Cruise-Lite Travel Trailer that is having major issues with the self-adjusting brakes grabbing causing a violent jerking when coming to a stop.  I have adjusted the Prodigy 2 controller at least a hundred times both the boost and the gain and can't stop this from happening.  If I reduce the gain to the point where there's hardly any braking the problem is less noticeable.  FYI I have had the drums, shoes, and magnets checked by professionals and they all tell me everything seems in good usable condition.  I'm wondering if the self-adjusting brakes are the problem and if so should I consider going to the manually adjustable brakes.  I realize the self-adjusting brakes are supposed to be less of a hassle but I don't mind adjusting the brakes myself if it solves my problem.  Opinions needed here, but with a reason to back up your preference. 

Did the "professionals"  check the run out of the brake drums?  Self adjusters cannot adjust properly unless the drum runs true.  Does the wheels spin freely with out tight spots?  Any chance that the brake shoes are reversed or the entire assemblies are on the wrong side?  I prefer manual adjusting to an inaccurate system.

Could be the trailer brake adjustment. Before assuming its a trailer problem, first eliminate the controller and the tow vehicle as a possible cause. It could be a faulty controller or possibly the brakes in the towing vehicle. The other area to consider is the hitch assembly. There should be a modest amount of play there but there is a limit. The only way a trailer's hitch slop would be muted during breaking would be if the trailer brakes are stopping the trailer at a slightly higher rate than the towing vehicle's brakes are stopping the towing vehicle. It could be any of the three above. This problem could also be creating an unsafe condition. Until it gets solved, be extra cautious out there, especially on wet or slick roads.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Henry

Sometimes, if you have hot brakes, and sit on the brakes at a stop, (the prodigy goes into this mode) it literally can impregnate some brake material onto the drum. Making it awful jerky next stop, especially if it's had time to cool down. Best way to clear that off is to ride the brakes (manual over ride for a a hundred feet, cleans it right off).  I have no experience with self adjusting brakes, I do not know the quality of shoes they typically come with.  Does this typically happen after driving, and the first couple cold stops? If yes, ride manually over ride your brakes a few hundred feet, then see if you have issues for the duration of that trip.

Back
Top Bottom