How do you clean your windshield??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Obviously the standard squeegee glass cleaning offerings at your typical gas station are pretty useless when it comes to cleaning the windshield on your motorhome-- too short and often too dirty.

Truck lanes are apt to be a lot better but given we have a gasser, not readily available.

Tried to talk my wife into standing on my shoulders, but she's not too keen on that idea so I would appreciate any tips from those facing similar challenges? Not only the outside, but the inside as well is something of a pain to clean!

I carried an extendable pole squeegee with a nylon mesh covered sponge on one side and the squeegee on the other and used that as needed when we stopped for the night. I mixed a little Dawn in water to wash the bugs off.

Same as Clay, I use an extendable mesh sponge and squeegee, with a paper towel  to wipe off the squeegee blade. A tad of soap often works fine for bugs, but there is a product I came across at Quartzsite and at FMCA rallies called BugsNall (used with spray bottle) that will quickly melt bugs off, too, especially useful if the bugs have been there a little while. And if it's not too bad, I have a one gallon weed sprayer that, since new, has had nothing in it except water, but I pump it up and spray the windshield then use the sponge/squeegee. It's sometimes used to get the worst off the side of the coach, too.

I also have a small folding two step ladder/stool/whatever that is just right to reach the lower half of the windshield if I need to -- I keep it under the dinette table on the road, and DW can use it to reach some higher cabinets if needed, too.

For the inside of the windshield, I'll spray Windex or such on the glass, then wipe it with a paper towel, perhaps wrapped on a similar device (same or smaller) to that I use outside. Often a microfiber cloth (perhaps wrapped around that same device) is enough to clear what I need, in between more thorough washes.

We carry an extendable pole like Clay mentioned, but use a spray bottle filled with windshield washer fluid to do the cleaning. Since it takes awhile to fill the tank, I have plenty of time to get the two items from the basement compartment and clean the windshield without taking extra time at the fuel stop. 

Windshield squeegees with telescoping handles are readily available

Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S3KPK2/

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-ProPlus-Professional-Squeegee-FG9W95PR/dp/B00LW7ZAO6/

https://www.campingworld.com/scrub-n-squeegee-windshield-washer

Last time the gas station was out of short handled so they stocked the gas pumps with Trucker units.. oh the joy.. I have one with Telescoping handle that will clean the area I need no help and a short step ladder (3') that gets me to the top with the telescope job.

For exterior I have an extendable handle brush (off my boat) that lets me reach to the top...works well, but haven?t yet hit love bug season.  Inside a bit more challenging, but on most glass I simply use water and ?E-cloth?. (My wife used to sell e-cloth and I am addicted to them).

RVMommaTo6 said:
Stand on HER shoulders! Lol

Ah-- when I read your suggestion I thought "yeah, that would work!" but when I suggested that solution to her-- well... I'm sure forum rules would prevent me from posting her response in detail. Suffice to say I don't see that happening.  ::)

J32952 said:
For exterior I have an extendable handle brush (off my boat) that lets me reach to the top...works well, but haven?t yet hit love bug season.  Inside a bit more challenging, but on most glass I simply use water and ?E-cloth?. (My wife used to sell e-cloth and I am addicted to them).

Hmmm... not familiar with "E-cloth" but looking around I think it might be worth a try. Pretty high ratings on various review sites. Thanks for the tip!

I used Windex, it's good on bugs but I recently bought Safelight a foam glass cleaner which is good but you need cloths.

And what is up with your wife?  ::) ;D ;D

I always fuel at truck stops. They always have long-handled squeegees at the pumps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom