Crabbing West Coast style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

Our Dungeness crab season opened a couple weeks ago. We have been eating fresh crab a least once a week since it opened. Dungee's have a sweet crab flavor and I'll combine a trip with some cod fishing while the pots soak if the ocean conditions allow for it. We are allowed 10 each in possession, so with a 20 crab haul between my wife and I, we'll drop some off to my and her mother. The commercial season usually starts  a couple weeks after the recreational so getting all we can before they caret bomb the entire coast with their gear, we get while the getting is good. Fresh crab during the holidays is a tradition I like to keep going,,,gregg

Attachments

• opening crabing 1.jpg
    opening crabing 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 35
  • me with crab pot.jpg
    me with crab pot.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 32
  • opening crabing 3.jpg
    opening crabing 3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 32
  • opening crabing 2.jpg
    opening crabing 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 35
That reminds me of the time I was scuba diving off Malibu for halibut during the 80s. To hunt for halibut is very boring, you swim endlessly about five feet off the bottom which is nothing but sand with a spear gun in my hand (yes Catblaster I owned a speargun). After about an hour of seeing nothing I saw a king crab walking on the bottom coming towards me. He was about a foot in diameter. He had his pincers up above his head waving them at me trying to scare me off. I almost choked to death laughing. He was serious. He was going to get me. I swam over him, hung a u-turn and put him in my goodie bag, no gun needed. Tasted great. :))

There are no crabs other than Dungeness. The rest are just bland tasting ugly little sea creatures!  ;) ;D  (Born on the West Coast, no bias whatsoever)

jackiemac said:
it was fun, until the extraction of the meat!

The body meat can be fiddly but it's worth it. If you take a chef's knife and cut the body on the segments it makes it easier.

How did you catch them?

Back2PA said:
The body meat can be fiddly but it's worth it. If you take a chef's knife and cut the body on the segments it makes it easier.

How did you catch them?
Rented a boat and stuck my toe in the water.....

Alpena Jeff said:
How many of those are needed to make a meal for, say, a big eater?
Not many! Lots of meat. We caught about half a dozen and made 3 meals, one of which served 4...

Crabcakes
Bisque
Crab benedict

My version of "The Perfect California Dinner":
  • Dungeness crab with side of mayo to dip
  • Steamed artichokes, again with side of mayo (it's a West Coast thing)
  • Fresh, crusty San Francisco sourdough
  • California Chardonnay
Bonus: eaten on a pier overlooking The Bay

Ya baby!  :D

jackiemac said:
Crab benedict

Decadence on a plate!

Back2PA said:
My version of "The Perfect California Dinner":
  • Dungeness crab with side of mayo to dip
  • Steamed artichokes, again with side of mayo (it's a West Coast thing)
  • Fresh, crusty San Francisco sourdough
  • California Chardonnay
Bonus: eaten on a pier overlooking The Bay

Ya baby!  :D

Decadence on a plate!
Skip the crab and put in abalone.

Dipped in mayo?  Ya'll don't eat them right. 

My mom always dipped artichokes in mayo but she was a CA girl by birth.  Not like she could help it.  Lol.

I love seafood, but here in Minnesoooota it's hard to find fresh.  Of course we have Walleye, and it's good, but crab, now that's what I love.
We've eaten crab on both costs as well as Alaska.  All of it's good!  Oysters are good too.  I even like mud bugs and shrimp.

A Maryland crab boil is heavily infused with Old Bay Seafood Seasoning. Yum.  Try it on shrimp.  Get some shrimp still in the shell.  Steam them
in Old Bay and have some cocktail sauce ready.  Here's a hint, there is a recipe on the side of the Old Bay can for shrimp.  It calls for Old Bay,
vinegar, salt, and water.  Double the Old Bay and substitute beer for the water.  That's also how I fix Blue Crab whenever I can get them.

Now I'm hungry.

Pugapooh said:
Dipped in mayo?  Ya'll don't eat them right. 

My mom always dipped artichokes in mayo but she was a CA girl by birth.  Not like she could help it.  Lol.

Are artichokes really food? LOL.  My DW made me eat some once.  OK, they weren't that bad, just a lot of work.

SeilerBird said:
Skip the crab and put in abalone.
Oh, the memories.  Abalone dinner and a first-rate show at Harrah's Lake Tahoe for twenty bucks.  Yummm.

Back
Top Bottom