Santa Fe to Tucson after Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Any suggestions?  Basically 25 south to 10 West.  500 miles,  have about 5 days.  Could do it in a long hard day, but why.  Will leave Dec 26th, Need to be in Tucson on Dec 31. 

Would like to start by hitting a warmer climate, then can poke along.

We have done that route going the other way, and took the short cut from Deming to Hatch. Saves about 50 miles, and not a bad road.

Rock Hound State Park, south of Deming, NM, is a nice park. I remember 30 amp.  Most sites are not reservable so I would think no problem finding place.  Believe open year around.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/spd/rockhoundstatepark.html

Jennifer

We have friends in NPS setting to leave Gila Ruins, so we will try to get there, and maybe Bosque Del Apache.  Working out route details.  Then back to Tucson by Dec 31.

Kartchner Caverns is interesting if you are into caves.  It is just off I 10

Right near one of my planned stops, probably combine.  Stopping in Whetstone,  (it is my last name, want to see my town!)

Seeing your town ---Whetstone, AZ--- (or called "The Y" by local old timers since the intersection of 90 and 82 was Y shaped) should not talk long.  Kartchner Caverns has a great state park which I recommend.  Also Benson has lots of RV parks.  There is an escapee park and the Butterfield RV Parks has an observatory and appears like a nice park but I have never stayed there. 

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/camping-and-cabins/rv-tent-camping

Jennifer

ferfer said:
Seeing your town ---Whetstone, AZ--- (or called "The Y" by local old timers since the intersection of 90 and 82 was Y shaped) should not talk long.  Kartchner Caverns has a great state park which I recommend.  Also Benson has lots of RV parks.  There is an escapee park and the Butterfield RV Parks has an observatory and appears like a nice park but I have never stayed there. 

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/camping-and-cabins/rv-tent-camping

Jennifer
I might add for Bill: The Butterfield not only has the observatory, but they have a nice ham station (at least last time I was there), as well -- just show your license.

xrated said:
Dang......I hate that......trying for a little attempt at humor and I screw it up!  ;D

Or you were expressing a subconscious desire.  ;D ;D ;D  Hope your wife doesn't read this thread. LOL

Getting close to the cast off date to go TO Santa Fe.  Sat AM we leave the LazyDays/KOA CG for Santa Fe.  Looks like maybe Deming for an overnight.  First we need to pull out the winterish clothing for the destination.

The Deming WalMart is good and RV friendly for an overnight.  Generally our first stop heading east.

Enjoy Santa Fe and let us know where your travels take you returning to Tucson. 

Jennifer

Easy in out fuel/bathrooms/snacks at Pic Quik in Hatch or 5R Travel Center just as you get into Deming or wait until the Lordsburg truck stops. There is also a Blakes Lot-a-Burger for Green Chili Burgers as you get to Deming or Sparkys in Hatch is famous for BBQ and Hamburgers. Easy parking behind Blakes not so easy at Sparkys but available by the RR tracks one block south.  The last truck stop after Albuquerque, heading south on I-25, is Loves at the middle exit in Belen. The next one is Road Runner in Lemitar just north of Socorro (exit 156). There is construction on the freeway although the exit is open. Lemitar has a sit down restaurant and ample parking in back. Fuel in Socorro or TorC is tight to get into/out of in general. Your best option in TorC is at exit 75 although 79 has the Wal Mart and fast food. Do not attempt to drive to Silver City on NM 152 although it looks tempting to go that way. If you want a scenic route take US 60 in Socorro and go over to Datil and catch NM 12 down to US 180. It is remote but interesting country and you can stop at the Very Large Array on US 60 and learn about El Fuego Baca in Reserve (280 Miles from Socorro to Deming via Reserve so check your fuel). Of course watch the weather forecast.

And back to Tucson.  Jennifer, looks like we will meet tonight.  We are just behind you guys in the park, see you guys soon.

For our trip, on the way to Santra Fe, we stayed in a Lake C-something CG, pulled in just before dark, left early, made it to Santa Fe with no snow, only to be dumped on a bit upon arrival.  On our trip back we stayed in Bosque Del Apache for 2 nights, then Deming for a night, a lunch in Hatch at Sparkys (World Famous!),  then to Benson 3 nights and now Catalina SP for NYE.

Tomorrow head over to LzyDays KOA to get mail, and I think we will likely then go to Benson again at the Escapees park. 

Happy New Year!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom