Electronic Sway Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobD70

Does anyone here use the electronic sway control? If so, how does it work for you?  The ones that are wired to your trailer brakes and automatically detects  movement and applies only trailer brakes to control any sway. Some are wired in and at least one I saw plugs into the tow vehicle and the trailer plug  is plugged into the control unit. They are not suppose to have any effect on normal braking.  Just curious if anyone uses these and how they work for you. If they work as advertised, I would get one to work along with the anti sway in the weight distribution hitch.

My truck has the anti sway and it is designed to detect and apply braking to stop the sway.

My thoughts..
Once the sway has started it may be to late. My WD hitch uses the weight bars to PREVENT the sway. If the truck didn't have it installed.... I would not spend the money.

However I'm no expert on the subject and would love to see someone with more knowledge respond.

That was my thought to, but these claim to have gyro sensors or switches that detect any movement when it first starts and applies the trailer brakes to stop it.  Some apply the brakes to one side at a time, depending on movement to get it under control.  I think if its caught fast like that, it would work, but it needs to be right away, not after a few good whips back and forth.  I am also curious to what people experienced with this setup think. If it works as advertised, it would be well worth it.

Gizmo100 said:
My truck has the anti sway and it is designed to detect and apply braking to stop the sway.

My thoughts..
Once the sway has started it may be to late. My WD hitch uses the weight bars to PREVENT the sway. If the truck didn't have it installed.... I would not spend the money.

However I'm no expert on the subject and would love to see someone with more knowledge respond.

Presumably they work, at least to some degree, but the smart thing is to avoid sway in the first place. #1 is to have the trailer balanced well enough that it never starts swaying (sufficient tongue weight). #2 is a good WD hitch with built-in anti-sway, e.g. Equal-I-Zer, Fastway, Reese Strait Line, etc.

When I tow my Trailer (GVWR of 6500 Equalizer WDH) turn my trucks sway control off.  The truck a Ford F150 HD seems to tow the TT better without it.  As an added bonus I also get better fuel mileage without it and less rear brake wear.  I think it kind of "fights" with the  trailers WDH.

I am not alone many on various Ford forums do likewise.

I've got it on my F-150.  I have a Equal-i-zer WD hitch and I drive very conservatively.  Over the last 3 years, I've towed our 6,200 lb trailer over 17,000 miles.  I've never experienced any sway that needed correcting.  I get the usual little push from big trucks but that's expected.  I have no idea if the truck's sway control has ever kicked in. 

I was much more concerned about the Chinese wheel bearings, Chinese tires and nylon shackle bushings.  All have been replaced and upgraded.

As others have said, it is an emergency backup to supplement and not replace a traditional anti-sway weight distributing hitch.

I do agree tis better to prevent the sway than to stop it.

Talk to a professional semi driver. they have the ability to apply trailer brakes if needed or just the tractor brakes if needed for assorted sway and other control issues.. THey can explain better than I.

Back
Top Bottom