Removing the "J" couch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

depchief

I am trying to decide if I want to remove the J couch and install a recliner in the space.
The coach is an Ultimate Advantage 40J floor plan.
My greatest concern is can I get the couch out the door. I know the passenger seat must be removed.
Is it possible to break down the couch to smaller sections?
I hope by changing I can increase the comfort level and allow the passenger seat to be rotated.
Suggestions and directions will really help in this decision
Thanks

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

My coach is a 40e. I don't have the J-couch but have the ?Banquet? with the drawer under it.  I have had it out twice to be recovered, the latest just in the past month. It is attached by 4 bolts to a metal frame. The frame is attached to the floor by 10 large screws.  The couch can be removed easier by separating it from the frame first due to the seatbelts. With the couch separated from the frame, it can be taken out the door fairly easily without removing the co-pilot seat ... the J-Lounge may differ but I wouldn't think by all that much. Then the frame can be easily removed. the key on mine is to FIRST removed the entry door pin that will then allow the door to open much further.

afchap said:
.... the key on mine is to FIRST removed the entry door pin that will then allow the door to open much further.
Bingo - we had to do this when we were getting rid of the Nocold for a household type fridge. I also removed the screen door and co-pilot chair.

I would like to thank all who offered their comments on removing the couch.
Separating the couch from the metal frame allowed us to remove it through the door. The body  measured 24" and turning it in the up position it went thru the door easily. The passenger seat was able to turn 180 degrees with the couch removed. We put the seat in the 90 degree position and set the couch on seat and turned it toward the door and then lifted thru.
What I thought was a tough job turn out to be easy
With the removal it exposed the entire return air grill for the propane heater. Originally the grill only had 1/3rd exposed

Back
Top Bottom