What Not to Do in an RV (an RV Newbie Mistake)? - 7 Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanbonner

Through the mistakes of people that came before us, we can avoid making some of them ourselves. The goal of this article is to share experiences so that bad adventures don?t get repeated. Here are 7 things showing you what not to do in RV. You will find below some RV newbie mistakes to avoid.

1. Not Enough Organisation of Your Trip
Make sure you have all the required items so your trip can be safe and successful.
Some of the must-have that RV newbies don?t always think about are:
  • A first-aid kit
  • A basic toolkit
  • A water pressure regulator - to be sure you don?t break the whole water system in your RV
  • Hoses ? you will need two garden hoses for your vehicle. Make sure you get two different colors, so you don?t make the mistake of using the same hose to get clean water and to dump the dirty one
  • An air compressor for your tires

2. Not Checking Your Tires Before Every Trip
Invest in good quality tires. Driving on difficult roads (with stones for example) or not balancing the overall weight on all your tires can arm them. Mostly, it?s important that you check their current state before every trip, no matter how in shape you think they might be.

3. Not Pay Attention to the Type of Surface You are Parking On
Soft surfaces (like sand) are not the best places to park. You have chances of your RV sinking in the ground and getting stuck. Always think of leveling the vehicle by sliding strong blocks under your tires.

4. Leaving the awning down
No matter how sunny it is, don?t forget that the weather can change in a matter of minutes. Leaving the awning of your RV down, especially unattended can cause it to be destroyed, even with a light breeze. Remember to put it back up when you need to leave the RV, or when the weather gets windy.

5. Forgetting to change the Generator Oil
This one is simple. The oil of a generator needs to be changed every 100 hours. If you fail this rule, you will destroy it. To avoid this mistake, just remember to change the oil at every new camping season.

6. Neglecting to check, and check again
Walk around your RV each time you take the road. Check the lights, make sure the windows are closed, check that you did not leave anything unplugged? There is also some checking to do inside the RV, like the refrigerator being closed all the way for example. The best to do is to build a checking list, that you will refer to each time you will drive anywhere.

7. Trusting the driving skills too much
You may be a phenomenal car driver, but this alone doesn?t make you ready to drive an RV. These are long, heavy vehicles that require knowing some techniques to stay safe.
Practice before the trip: slowing down and breaking on time when turning, backing-up into an RV spot? Make sure you are stress-free before driving.

Final Words
With this list, you now have 7 mistakes most RV newbie makes. By avoiding them, you will save time, money and embarrassi Check out the Following websiteg moments.

There are a couple of technical issues, such as a light breeze destroying an awning. If a light breeze destroys it, there were other issues with the awning. Also changing oil in the generator every 100 hours. That's not totally correct either. It's best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Some older generators should be changed at 40/50 hours, and some newer ones can run until 200+ hours.

Regarding Soft surfaces..> Asphault is a "Soft Surface" when it comes to RV's.

When they put new tires on my Class A their shop jack was not heavy enough so they used my 12 ton air/hydraulic (Harbor freight) jack.  Same as the last two tire guys did (only they used their 12 ton harbor freight jacks. YES we all use harbor freight jacks they are good jacks.. Mine is 15 years old).

Well it punched right through the asphault  of their parking lot.

Other side we still uded my jack but with 3 feet of 2x8 inder it. NO problem.

Two other rules for RV living:
  • Keep all prescription medicines in a small cooler. No ice should be used, but most meds will tell you they should be stored at room temperature.  Leaving them in a hot vehicle or RV can cause them to spoil.
  • All chocolate goes in the refrigerator.  (It becomes a puddle, otherwise, as I know from experience.)  And wine needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap to keep the temperature moderate if you are in a hot place. Best thing, actually, is to drink it quickly, as most wine does not travel well anyway.

Lol I love Judy!!! Forget everything else, as long as the meds, the chocolate, and the wine are in tact, it'll be a successful trip lol
And let's face it, with enough meds, chocolate, and wine, none of the other problems really matter! Lol

kdbgoat said:
There are a couple of technical issues, such as a light breeze destroying an awning. If a light breeze destroys it, there were other issues with the awning. Also changing oil in the generator every 100 hours. That's not totally correct either. It's best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Some older generators should be changed at 40/50 hours, and some newer ones can run until 200+ hours.

You told me a "good lesson". I impressed.

kwbush said:
Hey, what the heck... Alan    Welcome to the forum "The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing"

Thank you!

JudyJB said:
Two other rules for RV living:
  • Keep all prescription medicines in a small cooler. No ice should be used, but most meds will tell you they should be stored at room temperature.  Leaving them in a hot vehicle or RV can cause them to spoil.
  • All chocolate goes in the refrigerator.  (It becomes a puddle, otherwise, as I know from experience.)  And wine needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap to keep the temperature moderate if you are in a hot place. Best thing, actually, is to drink it quickly, as most wine does not travel well anyway.

Listed_

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would point out that  if you used a garden hose to dump the dirty tanks you may have a problem.....

"Hoses ? you will need two garden hoses for your vehicle. Make sure you get two different colors, so you don?t make the mistake of using the same hose to get clean water and to dump the dirty one"

The sewer hose is totally different.

Please read this post...

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,3671.msg1073912.html#msg1073912

I have removed the link you posted.

Thanks for complying with our rules.

I failed at #4 within my first six months. The good thing is we were tailgating with the RV in our front yard, still cost me over $100 to fix.  It started to rain so I thought "no problem" It will just run off.  Now people stop and ask me if my awning is broken because it is on an angle.
    Tailgating now in the front yard while watching the FSU/FU game.....Go Gators !!

Someone I have met is  named Fred (RV101byFred dot com if I'm not mistaken)

HE suggests two fresh water hoses. one for drinking cookign showering and the like (Potable water) and one for use with "The Flusher".. I kind of do that but "The flusher" hose has multiple back flow preventers as does the 'Flusher" device in my black Tank.. What is "The Flusher"  The Rinse out sprayer in the black tank.. (NOTE that specific brand is junk but "The Tornado" and a host of others work.)

He also suggests disonnecting the flush hose when not in use (I DO THAT)

OH and when I use the macerator pump due to distance or up hiull or whatever reason I feel the need. I use a 50' 3/4" BLACK garden hose... Yup. BLack hose. black water (25' Gray one too. same logic)

such as a light breeze destroying an awning.

Those awnings only blow away in a light breeze when they are left unattended. I think its a manufacturing error or somethin.

alanbonner said:
6. Neglecting to check, and check again
Walk around your RV each time you take the road. Check the lights, make sure the windows are closed, check that you did not leave anything unplugged? There is also some checking to do inside the RV, like the refrigerator being closed all the way for example. The best to do is to build a checking list, that you will refer to each time you will drive anywhere.

Part of this list should be to check the roof to be sure your vents are closed and your antenna is down.... I now have an orange warning tag I hang on my antenna crank each time I raise it...

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
Part of this list should be to check the roof to be sure your vents are closed and your antenna is down.... I now have an orange warning tag I hang on my antenna crank each time I raise it...

I got a bunch of these and put them on the thing I need to check, when the correct number of them are on the dash it is safe to leave.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Fabric-Key-Ring-Remove-Before-Flight-Keychain-Pilot-Bag-CRE-Luggage-Keyring/908735703?iid=263001120275&chn=ps

catblaster said:
  I got a bunch of these and put them on the thing I need to check, when the correct number of them are on the dash it is safe to leave.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Fabric-Key-Ring-Remove-Before-Flight-Keychain-Pilot-Bag-CRE-Luggage-Keyring/908735703?iid=263001120275&chn=ps
I love this idea!! :)

Back
Top Bottom