Propane Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ue40hole5

I recently acquired a 1997 Fleetwood Tioga Montara. When I turn on the propane valve at the tank I hear a hiss. There is a small threaded female opening (1/4" approx) in the first component after the valve (pic attached). The diagram in the manual does not show this component. When I block it with mt thumb I feel gas pressure and the hissing stops. What is this and should it be plugged?

Attachments

• Gas Line sm 01.JPG
    Gas Line sm 01.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 37
I wish you had been back a little farther when you took the pic. It looks like an extend-a-stay kit. At one time, there was probably a hose for a propane grill attached there. Just put a plug in it, and check it for leaks with a soap/water solution. Plugs are available at any hardware store. While you are getting the plug, get Teflon pipe thread tape too. Make sure the tape is rated for propane. There are different Teflon thread tapes.

ue40hole5 said:
I recently acquired a 1997 Fleetwood Tioga Montara. When I turn on the propane valve at the tank I hear a hiss. There is a small threaded female opening (1/4" approx) in the first component after the valve (pic attached). The diagram in the manual does not show this component. When I block it with mt thumb I feel gas pressure and the hissing stops. What is this and should it be plugged?
40hole5
Either plug it, use it or remove and discard that "first component": http://images.dyersonline.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/a1eed0813d52712d6e948f99c3696e26/1/0/103602.jpg

I agree that looks like an extend-a-stay kit or most of it. There is supposed to be a "Fitting" screwed into that opening that among other things contains a check valve.. Then you either have a plug (about 1/8" as I recall) or a hose screwed into that. >I'd plug it unless you can get the proper part or remove the unit completly till you can get a proper replacement.  Plus is cheap. under a dollar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom