Easier to Tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're going about this question the wrong way.  How much truck you need has nothing to do with which is easier to tow.  It's simply a matter of how much the rig weighs that you want to tow.  Find out how much the GVWR of the rig is, then get a truck capable of pulling it.  As far as ease of towing between a TT or a 5er, you'll get some who say one is easier, some say the other is easier.  Like most things RV, it comes down to preference.  I like my TT, but would like a 5er, but then I wouldn't be able to take my motorcycle anywhere.  All in the preference.

ztimbo said:
TT or 5th.  As far as how much truck you need?

How much?    More like what kind.  A fiver requires a pickup truck with an unencumbered bed or a medium duty truck with a tow bed.  A TT can be towed with SUVs, vans, and pickups with an encumbered or unemcumbered bed. 

Fivers occupy the medium and heavy weight trailers.  TTs take over the lower end of weights but can get quite large (30-32 feet).    TTs have more flat floor space per foot of length.

Carl L

If I buy this:

VERY NICE 1999 1 TON DUALLY FORD 350 - $13.5K

This one has all the extras on it. Spray on bedliner, running boards, gooseneck hide-a-ball, towing airbags, brake box, etc.

Very nice truck with leather seats and all electric. Only 125k miles which is low for a diesel truck.

What would be the range of TT or 5th I could pull?

Don't know.  Is is SRW or DRW?  2wd or 4wd?  What cab?  3.73 rear end or what?    Even so, I have only the 2000 tables available on Trailer Life. 

Its a 2 wheel drive automatic DRW.  Im testing it today.  the guy said the transmission slipped but he had it repaired.  I figure I will have to put another 3 or 4 grand to make sure, but that beats 40,000 for new.

ztimbo said:
Its a 2 wheel drive automatic DRW.  Im testing it today.  the guy said the transmission slipped but he had it repaired.  I figure I will have to put another 3 or 4 grand to make sure, but that beats 40,000 for new.

Yes, but what engine:  the 5.4 or 6.8 gassers or the 7.3 turbo diesel?  And what cab:  regular, crew, supercab?.  SuperDuty or not?  Rear end ratio?  Tow rating can vary widely depending on those items.  BTW I did find the 99 tables.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom