Air Conditioners, cover or no cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2PawsRiver

We will be in ours all winter, SW Michigan.  I would think covers to keep the snow and ice off them, but on those days where temps are not too low and the sun is shining may cause stuff to thaw and result in moisture which in turn will freeze.  Just thought I would seek out wisdom

In snow country I would cover them to reduce the accumulation of snow & ice under the a/c's own cover (which of course is full of ventilation holes). Multiple freeze/thaw cycles could conceivably cause physical damage if ice builds up inside, bending or breaking something. Probably only a small chance, but a potential nonetheless.  Just something simple, maybe a piece of plywood on top so the snow piles up there rather than down inside.

Ditto for skylights in heavy snow country.

I full time so even if it is cold I will sometimes use the A/C on Fan mode to circulate air and equalize temp's throughout the RV. also I have ZERO fresh air in the bedroom (Have sealed the windows for heat control, can still open for fire exit but otherwise sealed).. So I use the fans to move air about. Covers would inhibit that.

The odds of ice build up INSIDE the case approach zero  Seriously approach zero.

THe design of the pan at the bottom of the A/C allows water to drain onto the roof. Snow might build up to a very very very slight extent but that's already frozen soon as it melts it will run out the bottom and freeze... On the ground.

John From Detroit said:
. So I use the fans to move air about. Covers would inhibit that.

I could be mistaken but seems like since the circulation fan only moves interior air in a closed loop, putting a cover on the AC wouldn't affect it

I've never covered the roof or air conditioner during our New England winters.

If we haven't had any issues in the last 15 years, I doubt we will moving forward.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom