Wind when parked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol Sarge

My mother in law is looking at buying a 5th wheel or larger travel trailer.  She'll be parking it on my property and will use it as her permanent residence.

We are worried about the wind as we live in Amarillo.  Not so worried about being turned over but just rocking her sick.  Is this a factor or am I just overthinking it?  I know zip about RVs.  Really appreciate the thoughts.

It will rock.  The shorter that you can make the leveling struts, it will reduce the amount of sway.

Andersen makes a leveling block, or you can use timbers to reduce the length of the legs.  Since it is permanent, why not jack it up and put a more solid base.

Since you are in Amarillo I would be more worried about the cold temperatures there than the wind. I used to live there years ago so I remember! RV's are not noted for their extreme weather protection. Sounds like you might be better with a small mobile home if it's going to be permanent anyway.

Funny you asked....
We are in Arkansas with our TT. And the wind is blowing around 30 MPH. and yes the TT is moving with the wind. If I was going to be leaving the RV parked as a home I would put it on blocks. I would also consider tie downs as a preventive measure.

rbrdriver said:
Sounds like you might be better with a small mobile home if it's going to be permanent anyway.

Agree. More living space and might even be cheaper

Agree with the mobil home,, if permanent, it won't need holding tanks and RV type water heater, RV type furnace,, batteries, and so forth.. Power waste and water should be permanent, and insulation would be better.>>>>Dan

I would consider a park model.

They come with all the comforts of home but are typically designed with one bedroom not the multiple tiny bedrooms commonly found in mobile homes.

https://www.athensparkmodelrvs.com/

http://parkmodels.com/

http://www.utopian-villas.com/

https://www.titanfactorydirect.com/

Attachments

• park model athens-600x600.jpg
    park model athens-600x600.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 40
  • park model cavco-600x600.jpg
    park model cavco-600x600.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 40
  • park model titan-600x600.jpg
    park model titan-600x600.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 35
  • park model utopian-600x600.jpg
    park model utopian-600x600.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 35
DearMissMermaid said:
I would consider a park model.

They come with all the comforts of home but are typically designed with one bedroom not the multiple tiny bedrooms commonly found in mobile homes.

Great idea. Those are stunning!

I bought my 33 foot fiver two years ago. It is permanently parked in central Florida. I do not have the stabilizers deployed. I feel zero wind movement. It is a high quality very solid unit.

I'll throw my hat into the park or a destination style unit rather than a 5th wheel or travel trailer.  Not to say either of the later two options are not doable, they are, but the former would be better suited to a more permanent living situation.  They can also be moved if the need arises.

Google mobile home anchors.  Tying down any trailer, park model or tiny home is a good idea and the cost is minimal.

If the wind in your area, usually comes out of the same direction, then point it into the wind to stop a lot of the rocking

Ditto on the anchors.  I was in Kansas in a state park during 65 MPH side wind.  The ranger told me two trailers got turned sideways and two 5th wheels got knocked off their posts.  All the damage I ended up with was a small tear in a slide awning that I had put in a couple of minutes too late.  But my motorhome was a lot heavier than trailers or most 5th wheels.

However, the camp host showed me how HIS 5th wheel was cabled down to anchors buried in the cement slab, so no movement at all!!  It was Kansas, after all.

And park models will have much better insulation and be more comfortable for the size. 

Back
Top Bottom