Water pump constantly running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

Hello,
I've noticed several times that when we get home after a trip the water pump is running even though there isn't a faucet open.  This doesn't happen when we are camped without a city hookup - the pump will come on then shut off as expected and pressure is good. At first I thought it was because I had little water in the fresh water tank but this wasn't the case yesterday.  I've inspected near the pump and around the basement and see no water leaks.  With this most recent trip we were hooked up to city water - the pump shouldn't have been on in the first place although my wife or I may have slipped it on out of habit. 

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks!

Sounds like you may be sucking air someplace and possibly not being able to build up any pressure. Do you have water out of a faucet when it's running like this?
The other possible cause is if you have a valve which when hooked up to city water and by opening this valve the tank fills, that valve may still be open now and all your doing is circulating water around in a circle.

Ours does this when air trapped. You must have water in fresh tank that's why you use the pump..  If connected to city water turn off then run taps to let air through. Once clear turn city water back on.

Hope that makes sense.

The pump runs whenever the pump switch is on and the pressure in the water lines is below the pump threshold pressure, usually 40-45 psi.  If the pressure won't come up to the threshold, it keeps on running. Air in the lines can cause that, or a water leak, or faucet open!  In order to rebuild pressure, it needs water from the fresh tank, so if the fresh tank is too low it sucks air and just keeps running. When traveling with only a little water in the fresh tank, the sloshing can let the pump suck air instead of water if it tries to run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom