This can't be right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skeeter_ca

Noticed when i was dumping at a dump the suspension was off center. Stopped half way home and it was still like that. At home still like that. Could not see any problems outright. If this is a problem what should i be looking for?

skeeter

Attachments

• equalizer 1.jpg
    equalizer 1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 224
Looks like the suspension hanger shifted forward far enough to let the rear shackle hang up on the big U bracket.  Maybe if you jack that side up it will drop out, though might need a little persuasion from a crow bar or big hammer.

That center U mount is designed to let the shackles shift for/aft a bit, but maybe you found an exceptionally big pothole. Or maybe the U-mount is poorly designed.  ???

I can't tell which tire is forward and which is aft. I was wondering it the trailer brakes could be applied and then pull forward or back up to help pull the axle on the right a bit.  I was also wondering if this is only on one side or both sides. If one side, the axle would be out of line.

I don't know how that was possible. The opposite ends of the springs are connected to a fixed U bracket so how could the end of that one on the right end up under the middle bracket.

If you look close, the end of the left side spring is up against the frame and the frame is bent. I would not tow that even a foot until you find the cause and fix it.  Is the middle U bracket still welded to the frame?

What is the year and make of RV?

Wow, didn't notice the bend on the frame. the equalizer on both sides are the same. Aa far as i saw i believe the center bracket is still attached to the frame.

If i jack it up were should that be at? in the center? in front of the front tire? behind the rear tire?

The tire on the left is the forward tire.

It is a 1997 Wilderness 5th wheel

skeeter

Even the "U" bracket is bent where the right spring is against it. I'd say it's been like that for a while. Keep us informed as to what you find.
I don't know what  pry bar is going to do. It looks like the right spring is longer than the left spring for whatever reason.

I zoomed in and it looks like the right spring eye has been up against the "u" bracket for a long time because the bracket looks worn from the spring and both the spring and the bracket are all rusty.

By prying the right shackle to the right and out from under the mount, it will allow the teeter totter to resume it's normal horizontal position.>>>Dan

Dan, by doing that you'd actually be trying to make the right side spring shorter right?
I still say there's something major wrong here. Hope I'm wrong.

Here are some pictures of what it should look like:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-Double-Eye-Trailer-Suspension-Review.aspx

You'll see that the end of the spring is no where near the center U bracket like the OP's is. The opposite end of the spring pack is made up direct to a U bracket and there are no shackles.

skeeter_ca said:
I will try to pry at it tomorrow morning and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll jack it up and see what I can do.

skeeter

Is the other side of the trailer the same?  How long have you owned it?

Rene,, look at the picture,, if the LEFT spring could rotate to the right, its natural arc would put it where the right spring is now. Neither spring is LONGER than the other, they are just at a different part of there respective arc.>>>Dan

Dan, I did look at that earlier and I felt that the end of the spring in an arc would not end up where the right spring is now. It would clear the U bracket by quite a bit I think.

I've had the 5'er for about 1 1/2 years and driven it about 10,000 miles. Yes, both side are the same. I do not believe it was like that when I went to the campground on Wednesday before Thanksgiving but noticed when I was leaving the campground on Sunday.

skeeter

I saw that happen to a 5th wheel we were weighing at the Escapade a couple of years ago.  Most likely you hit a pothole or took a speed bump too fast and the rebound caused the equalizer to go over center.

Springs are, by their nature, flexible.  Once the equalizer went over center the spring ends would indeed wind up exactly where they are now.  The right hand spring is enlongated because with it's end being lower than the end of the other spring it is now carrying more weight.

The slight bend in the frame rail flange was caused when the end of the shackle hit it and isn't anything to worry about.

Jack up the trailer so the weight is off of the suspension and then pry out on the right hand spring until it clears the center tower.  At that point everything should pop back into position.  Don't start prying before you jack up the trailer or you'll be fighting the weight of the trailer and the rebound will be violent. 

simple fix. the equalizer's shackle on the right ( looking at pic ) has shifted. what you need to do is jack up the front axle ( looking at pic ), get it as high as you can, carefully pry the back end of the equalizers hanger , so you can flip the rear leaf spring enough to put the hangers back on the top of the rear leaf spring. be sure to put some blocks on the other side rear tire so your camper wont roll !.

and if what I said ^^ don't work for ya ?, you can unbolt the rear axle leaf spring from the rear hanger, pull the whole side of that camper on the rear tire backwards. get your hangers back on top of the leaf spring, and above the end of the equalizer at the middle, then just bolt the rear leaf spring back up to the rear hanger, you may have to use a floor jack on the rear axle to get the leaf spring to reach the rear hanger ?. this problem is pretty common on all tandem trailers :)

here is a pic of when I replaced my axles with 3500lb straight axles myself, takes some work, but can be done !. ( I hope this pic works ? ).

Attachments

• new shackles, leaf springs.JPG
    new shackles, leaf springs.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 75
I've been thing about this for 2 days.  I suspect you will have to jack up the frame to get the weight off both axles to lever it back into position.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom