trying to figure out water line to ice maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

Hello, the attached photo is taken from the exterior of my Class A after I removed the panel to the fridge service area.  Am I correct in assuming that the blue line is a water line to my ice maker?  We've had our RV for 3 months and the ice maker has never spit out ice.  I am working on winterizing and want to figure out how the fridge is plumbed before I open the ice maker and bleed the solenoid (sp?).

There is a valve in the middle of the blue line.  The picture shows what I changed it to - in what I believe is "off".   

There are other, similar blue lines under my sink that lead to a water filter. 

Last night, after draining the hot and cold water tanks, I used a small air compressor to blow out the water lines.  I limited the pressure to 20lbs and made sure I got the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet, and shower in the wet bay.  It was easier than I feared.  The only items remaining are the ice maker and washer/dryer. 

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 34
The blue line is in fact the ice maker line. The valve you installed IS in the off position.
The only thing I do on our ice maker for winter, is just unscrew it from the solenoid. The main problem I have is remembering to hook it back up the first time we use the MH in the spring. I remember it when I see water in the floor. I guess I could unplug the wires from the solenoid too, when I disconnect the water line.

Don't forget to drain the [plastic line that goes from the water valve to the ice maker itself. You may have to simply remove the plastic lines on the top and bottom of the water valve. DO NOT loose the metal inserts in those plastic lines if any!!

If you happen to have a drinking water faucet, (often a 'swan's neck' like fitting), in the galley area, you likely have a filter in that line and you may have a valve in that area too. If that filter is present the chances are very good that it also feeds the ice maker as well.

A simple thing but, is the small metal bar in the icemaker in the fridge up or down? I forget if up is for ice cubes to fall into the container or down is for making ice cubes to fall into the container. Either or, one way will not let ice cubes stack up.

Bill

In my case I tried both positions but assumed that up meant "no ice".  Ice was not "made" in either scenario which tells me the water is turned off.

Thanks for all the commentators on how to properly prepare the lines for winter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom