Haier America Recalls 10 Cubic Foot Top-Mount Refrigerators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just received a letter stated that there is a recall for the following Models:
HA10TG31SB, HA10TG31SS, HA10TG31SW 

Due to an electrical problem which can short circuit and cause a fire. They've had three reported fires so far.  They recommend you stop using the fridge immediately.  It affects 137,000 fridges sold at Lowe's between September 2014 through October 2016.

Go to www.haierappliances.com/recalls or call the Recall Hot Line @ 1-888-364-2989 Mon thru Fri 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern

Yep, a tech from GE Appliances was here last week to fix our fridge. All that's involved is changing the compressor relay and capacitor, along with replacing the snap in drip pan. Took him about 20 minutes altogether, although he did admit it was the first one he's done. The parts came by Fedex a couple of days before the service appointment. He did appreciate being able to do the job standing up at the outside access panel though, instead of pulling the fridge out and laying on the floor.  :D

NY_Dutch said:
Yep, a tech from GE Appliances was here last week to fix our fridge. All that's involved is changing the compressor relay and capacitor, along with replacing the snap in drip pan. Took him about 20 minutes altogether, although he did admit it was the first one he's done. The parts came by Fedex a couple of days before the service appointment. He did appreciate being able to do the job standing up at the outside access panel though, instead of pulling the fridge out and laying on the floor.  :D

Dutch, yours is a GE and it had the same recall?  The one I have now is a Kenmore. They sent me a letter because originally we bought the one from Lowe's but then changed our minds and ended up getting the Kenmore from Sears.

Rene T said:
Dutch, yours is a GE and it had the same recall?  The one I have now is a Kenmore. They sent me a letter because originally we bought the one from Lowe's but then changed our minds and ended up getting the Kenmore from Sears.

Nope, it's a Haier, Rene. The Haier Group acquired GE Appliances in 2016.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 5
Gee.. A RESIDENTIAL type fridge that catches fire...

Think about this folks. all the folks who go to that type of fridge because of RV Fridge fires and...

Well...  I will stick with my Dometic for the time being.

Think about this folks. all the folks who go to that type of fridge because of RV Fridge fires and...

John,

Reduced chance of fire is only ONE of MANY reasons for using residential instead of an RV fridge, and not much of the equation for a lot of us. Remember that most anything that uses heat or electricity can catch fire under some circumstances, even though it's pretty rare for most things (UL listed helps, of course, too, as most electric things are).

Greater physical capacity; much improved performance, especially in hot weather; reduced electric consumption (when on shore power, for the RV fridge, of course), to name a few. We've had both, and chance of fire had little to do with our preference for a residential style unit. Of course our dry camping is rather minimal, mostly at Quartzsite where we run the generator enough to keep our batteries up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom