Florida Cold Snap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PancakeBill said:
warm at Old Faithful, but I am no longer living there,  25 deg with forecasted high of 29 and snow by mid day.  We are in Tucson, should be a high of 78 and about 50 last night low, but in a few days we leave for Santa Fe, with arrival on Sunday, apparently in snow.

It?s pretty warm over most of Wyoming right now......we were only down to the low 20?s, this morning Should be getting back to normal in a couple of days!   

Memtb said:
  It?s pretty warm over most of Wyoming right now......we were only down to the low 20?s, this morning Should be getting back to normal in a couple of days! 

I hear ya!  It's all of 25 now in northwest Indiana.  I would gladly take 25 all winter, but sadly, I don't think that will happen. Sigh.....

JackL said:
Key Largo, Fl. right now at 4;52 AM it is 57 degrees out side.
I put the propane gas on to take the chill off here in the trailer and as soon as it got to 72 turned it off and turned on our little electric space heater
it is supposed to get up to 68 this afternoon

It's too cool for water sports today, so I'll get some of the stuff on the "to do list" done

Jack L

5:50 48degrees in Homestead in the Redlands. Didn't need the heater this morning in the S&B but coming out the door was a shock. At 3:30 this afternoon it is only 49 degrees in the shade.

Warm here. It's 74 degrees. Now, if I go outside, it's only 44 degrees, but it's warm where I am...in my recliner. :D

I have been in about 75 degrees most of the day except for the short time I went out for coffee this morning. my house is really warm without the A/C running. I am comfortable outside in the sun but the shade is cool. The contractor I have working on the house is here now so I have been in and out several times without a jacket but it appears to be another "arctic" morning coming with slow warming tomorrow.

So, I'm curious. We northerners always hear the southerners moaning about near freezing temps. I do understand.  Is the southern winter occurring now, meaning Dec-Jan?  Last 3 years, wife and I have headed south in mid Feb, hit cooler temps on occasion but never close to freezing. Seemed like Spring was on its way.  When is it the coldest, and when does it start to break?

Compadre said:
So, I'm curious. We northerners always hear the southerners moaning about near freezing temps. I do understand.  Is the southern winter occurring now, meaning Dec-Jan?  Last 3 years, wife and I have headed south in mid Feb, hit cooler temps on occasion but never close to freezing. Seemed like Spring was on its way.  When is it the coldest, and when does it start to break?

Depends on what part of Florida you are talking about. There is a tremendous differential between northern Florida and the Keys.
In Key Largo, we will be back in the eighties by Saturday

jack L

RVMommaTo6 said:
At least you don't have a foot of snow like we do in NY!
;D ;D ;D

Personally, I love the snow.  It's those below zero temperatures that I dislike.

SpencerPJ said:
;D ;D ;D

Personally, I love the snow.  It's those below zero temperatures that I dislike.

I like the snow too. I just don?t like it on my driveway and sidewalk. And I don?t mind the cold. It?s the wind combined with cold that I don?t like. Two places I have lived, Idaho and Alaska, got down to 50 below. I don?t want to do that anymore. I also don?t want to do 115 degrees like Las Vegas or near 100% humidity like Florida. I like the weather in Hawaii but I can?t afford to live there.

I love the snow too! We ski every Thursday and on weekends, sled, ice skate once a week, and build snowmen, so we take full advantage of winter!

Oldgator73 said:
I also don?t want to do 115 degrees like Las Vegas or near 100% humidity like Florida.

I had to chuckle at that line... The humidity here in NY's Southern Adirondacks is 42% today, and just 36% in Lakeland, FL.  ;)

Compadre said:
I grew up in WV and lived for 1 year on the UP of Mi but have been in SoFL since 1976. We are now entering our growing season where a freeze could be devastating. We see cold weather only on occasion but will get 1 or 2 days of cold at a time from late Dec through Feb. every once in a while we see a night where it may get cold enough to freeze but generally only last a night or 2. I have been here so long I can feel really cold when it gets below 60, of course age helps. I love a day or 2 of cold as it makes the fruit trees bloom better.

When one of the Canadian express fronts reach here it does get cold. Solid freezes are rare though.

I mentioned this experience in the chat last night. I used to travel to Melbourne FL for work on a regular basis, maybe every 3-5 weeks. I was there once when a cold snap came and the weather folks on TV were basically saying 30-32 was dangerous for cars, your dog would die, and it was probably the apocalypse. Ok, that?s a slight exaggeration but not much. This Iowan had a lovely day in the crisp air wearing a light jacket. Dinner was lovely too since everyone else stayed home! My team laughed and laughed about that trip. It is all in what you are used to.

UTTransplant said:
I mentioned this experience in the chat last night. I used to travel to Melbourne FL for work on a regular basis, maybe every 3-5 weeks. I was there once when a cold snap came and the weather folks on TV were basically saying 30-32 was dangerous for cars, your dog would die, and it was probably the apocalypse. Ok, that?s a slight exaggeration but not much. This Iowan had a lovely day in the crisp air wearing a light jacket. Dinner was lovely too since everyone else stayed home! My team laughed and laughed about that trip. It is all in what you are used to.
I had a similar experience. I grew up in Boston and was living and working in Nashua, NH in the late 60s early 70s. We were flying to Reston, VA on a weekly basis. The first time we were there and they had snow flurries the employees were in a panic as to when they would call off work and send everyone home. The three of us from NH just laughed and waited until everyone left and then went to dinner. The streets were deserted except for those trying to get home.

55 here in Venice this morning, it's warming up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom