First timer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blues Driver

We are looking at 30' +or- class A or C used. Gas or diesel . We are in the early stages of looking and working through the adequate space vs perceived ease of driving, navigating gas stations etc. Wife likes the C as she thinks it will drive more like the PU truck she is used to. 2 adults and 1 dog.
The lower C is desirable due to knees, hips. Yes, less storage space. We plan to spend the summer months in cooler climes.  Nothing is going to be perfect. I have read through the buyers checklists and find it daunting in volume and knowing what I am looking at.  I will use a qualified inspector and independent mechanic for inspections.  How do I find an inspector if I buy out of state.

I plan to visit the local DMV and learn what documents I will need if I buy from an out of state individual. Our experience with dealers is already undesirable. Issues with driving a rig back to Nv for registration?

First thought is years 2004 to 08 for build quality and price.  Open to different brands but like the Winnie brand as I think the build quality and amenities will suit our needs. Also a friend had an Itasca 31' C with a desirable floor plan for years with few problems. Not to say other brands will not serve well. Several friends have emphasized service records. We service vehicles regularly so I understand that. 

I'm leery of roof leaks. Years/ brands for solid roofs?

What is a "super C" ? Is it desirable?  What years specifically if any?

In the C I would like a flat floor if possible in order to swivel the seats or install captain chairs that swivel and add comfort.

I have read the Ford Chevy debates and have no strong feelings but think the Chev may be quieter due to lower engine speed.
The Chev engine seems to have remained fairly constant in HP and tranny. When did the Ford increase HP?

Re: tranny.  I like the idea of an Allison.  When did Ford go to 5 speed, 6 speed?

While I do not expect to make extensive modifications I am open to safety mods and ease of driving such as stabilizer bars or steering stabilizers.

I'm stunned by the price of top line 6volt AGM batteries. How many should I expect to need?  Is there a midpoint price choice that will serve? Are golf cart batteries a viable solution or less desirable?  We have learned the hard way not to cheap it and end up buying what we should have bought. We live in the So Nv desert so batteries have a shortened life due to the heat.  Is the 6V more desirable in terms of hours of charge or is it a space consideration? Both?  Is solar worthwhile?  We plan to stay in State parks which may or may not have hookups.  I'm reading about series vs parallel so questions. Must the 6V be in multiples of 2 in series? More to read on that but many of you are obviously quite knowledgeable.  Obviously I'm not electrically oriented but looking to learn. Dead battery of any sort  is a major PITA.

In the C class it seems the chassis battery would be under the hood near the engine . Is there an advantage to having it with the house batteries? Seems to take up space better used by house batteries.

I spent 37 years in the residential construction business but I am not much of a mechanic. Willing to work at it and learn.

This forum is a vast source of info. Thanks in advance.
Pat

Keep looking at lots of used C's and include more years.

Eventually you will walk in one and it will smile at you and say "Welcome home."

The more you look, the more you learn.

You covered a lot of ground there, but I'll try some answers:

I'm leery of roof leaks. Years/ brands for solid roofs?
There is no material difference among RV roof types, though TPO, fiberglass and aluminum roofs are somewhat superior to EPDM rubber as  material. Leaks come from seams and through-roof openings (skylights, vents, etc), not the roof material.  Leaky roofs are nearly always a result of poor maintenance (neglect), not roof construction.

What is a "super C" ? Is it desirable?
It is a Class C body style built on a medium or heavy truck chassis rather than a van cutaway chassis. It will be more robust than a van-based unit and have a greater weight carrying capacity. The heftier chassis also permits larger sizes - there are super-C's as long as 40 ft. Most super C's are diesels. The Jayco Seneca is a common model of super C.

Re: tranny.  I like the idea of an Allison.  When did Ford go to 5 speed, 6 speed?

Ford went to a 5 speed around 2006 in their Class A (F53) chassis. The van cutaway (E350/E450) got a 5 speed at different times for for the gas V10 vs the Powerstroke diesels. Diesels got in in 2003 but I think it was 2005 for the gas engines.
I'm stunned by the price of top line 6volt AGM batteries. How many should I expect to need?  Is there a midpoint price choice that will serve? Are golf cart batteries a viable solution or less desirable?
AGM batteries are inherently more expensive than flooded cells, usually 2x or more.  Whether 6v or 12v.  Flooded cell 6v's are excellent in price/performance but have greater maintenance needs than AGMs.  "Golf car" 6v batteries are popular because they are excellent quality deep cycle batteries at reasonable prices, but you can get 12v deep cycles as well and they are every bit as good. Battery choices are a long discussion on their own, so I suggest reading my library article on RV battery choices at Choosing an RV battery

Back
Top Bottom