Living room slide will not close. Too much weight or is the motor going south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dealer just called and said it's the slide motor.  About $1,050 for the motor via Lippert.  Also stated they were going to discontinue making the motor.  Anyone know if this makes sense.  Seems like a lot for an electric motor. 

garyb1st said:
Dealer just called and said it's the slide motor.  About $1,050 for the motor via Lippert.  Also stated they were going to discontinue making the motor.  Anyone know if this makes sense.  Seems like a lot for an electric motor.

Seems very high.....Does that include labor....and lunch? 

They found one for about $750.  Maybe 3 or 4 hours labor for a total of about $1,200.  Didn't ask about lunch.  But it better not be McDonalds. 

The prices for the Lippert motors seems to all over the place from $100 up to $800.
I don't have a clue about labor cost.
Lunch at McDonalds (Happy meal) $3.50

Yeah I would hold out for at least Wendy's or chick fil a..

Folks have taken the numbers off the old one and did an internet search to find less expensive options.

It's going to take about 10 days for them to get the motor.  In the mean time, I'll bring the motorhome back, open the slide and see if I can find a model or part number.  There's a lot of motors out there but I can't find any literature that shows the specific motor used in my Pace Arrow.

It just seems like tooooooo much.  I had to replace an air conditioning motor at the house one time.  The techs that came out said they had what I needed in the  truck and installed it.  Cost $500.  Same or similar motor on line for about $100. 

It's not that I don't trust the service guys, but it seems that they're default response is the path of least resistance. 

Thanks for your input. 

Gizmo100 said:
The prices for the Lippert motors seems to all over the place from $100 up to $800.
I don't have a clue about labor cost.
Lunch at McDonalds (Happy meal) $3.50

Yeah I would hold out for at least Wendy's or chick fil a..

Geeze, when was the last time you ate at MickeyD's?  Last night my wife bought a Big Mac, 2 Filet-o-fish, a large order of fries and a couple of milk shakes and the bill was over $28.

garyb1st said:

I know the feeling well. there are places that sell that very same identical motor for less (sounds like you and I have the same motor)

When mine gets replaces possibly as soon as Saturday (Due in this evening but weather delays) I'm going to keep the old motor and take it to Shawn. who knows how to fix 'em. I'm thinking 100-200 will rebuild the motor as good as or considering what Power Gear used in so many devices better than new.

Electric motors can be very expensive. A lot of it is determined by manufacturing costs, and how many they sell to make that cost back. When the 110 volt motor on my awning went out, Carefree hit me $1500 for an awing motor.  Talk about sticker shock. 

The electric slide motors tend to have more issues than hydraulic slides. The motors are usually very small and very high torque. They are also much more affected by excess weight than the hydraulic motors. I have two Swinteck slide motors on my bedroom slides. I cross my fingers every time I hit the button.

Gary, This one looks (from memory) like the one on my coach. Suspect yours would be the same as mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Gear-523900-RV-Slide-Out-Motor-Maxi-Torque-Dual-Shaft-without-Pin-/181783259440

Changing it out would be simple on my coach. Less than 30 minutes if all goes well, twice that if not.

See you in Q (?)

Tom

Tom, from what I've been able to determine, it's the same motor.  At least it looks like the one you identified.  I gave the same model number to Lippert and they cross referenced it with a motor they sell for $1045.00. 

Did you replace yourself?  If so, tell me which tools I need and I'll see you in Q.  ;)

Just ordered the motor from CSH Electric Motor Supply Inc.  $329 plus shipping

According to my RV service center, motor part number is 523900.  That based on visual inspection. 

On line chat with Lippert.  That number and another I found on line, 1010000010 both crossed referenced with their part number 368417.

Lippert part number $1045.

CSH motor is manufactured by Klauber Machine & Gear, a St. Louis company. 

Should have motor tomorrow via overnight shipping $101.00

If I get it early enough, I'll take it to the service center and hopefully we'll be good to go by Friday. 

News at eleven. 

One of the square driveshaft tubes was twisted and bent when I got the coach. It wasn't causing any problems but I replaced it proactively.

I don't remember the wrench sizes. My motor assy was loose so I tightened it, but didn't need to remove. There are two or three bolts holding it to the bracket. No big deal. As you can see from the picture the dual shaft is drilled for a cross bolt. To be safe block the slide-out so it can't move when you remove the two cross bolts. The drive shafts are a tube within a tube so once the cross bolts are removed you can slide the drive shaft off of the motor shaft. Remove the bolts holding the motor and switch out the motor assy. Reconnect the drive shafts. You may have to rotate the motor shafts to align the holes. The lever on the end of the motor releases the brake so you can do this. Reconnect the wires. If not obvious which is which then hook them up and hit the switch to move the slide-out a short distance and see if it's going the correct way. If not then reverse the wires.

Probably took me almost as long to type as doing the work.

Oh, be sure the brake lever is in the correct position to keep the slide from moving on its own when you are finished. Mine was not when the coach was delivered to me by a dealer. For months my port slide would come out up to 3 inches while driving. I finally figured out what was going on and flipped the lever. Could have been disastrous.

Got the motorhome back.  Haven't tried extending and retracting the slide yet but will likely do that when we hit the road in a day or two. 

In addition to the cost of the motor and overnight shipping $401, they charged me $462 labor which included a few other things.  So while the labor probably more than they needed, overall I'm better off than if I had them get the motor. 

They showed me the old motor and it had the same part number 523900 so if anyone says, as my service guy said, they don't make them anymore, just go on line and find one. 

Do I understand this right? You paid over $800 and didn't verify the fix?

ChasA said:
Do I understand this right? You paid over $800 and didn't verify the fix?

If by verify you mean did we check the slide to make sure it was working properly, no I took their word for it.  They're expensive but I've done business with them for 5 years and trust them. 

Back
Top Bottom