Black tank needs replaced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
We have a vacuflush toilet.  We noticed an odor around three or four months ago. It was intermittent and progressively got worse.  Last month the vacuum pump would just run continuously and the light never turned green. We happened to be in Ohio and took it to the dealer we bought it from.  They replaced the vacuum pump and said we had a leak but could not determine where it was.  It was not the pump or the accumulator tank.  Winter was coming on fast, so we took the coach and headed south.  Had an RV mechanic in Sevierville, NC look at it and he said the leak was from the top of the black tank, where the line from the accumulator tank connects to the black tank. (Keep in mind, none of this is anywhere anyone can get to it easily.  They?ve cut access panels in on both sides behind/under the slides on both sides and can that?s about five feet away from the issue.  To get to the issue, drop the genset and remove the drivers side tires and cut an access panel there.). Guy in Sevierville said it would need to in to his shop and he could not get us in less than a couple of weeks.
So on to Gulf Shores we went over Thanksgiving weekend with an appointment at a shop here for Monday morning.  They said we need a new tank.  Repairing our tank is not an option.  We told them to do it.  They gave the coach back and have been looking around for a tank.  Finally called us today and said that our tank is no longer made and they cannot find one anywhere.  They?ve gotten the schematics for it and are looking into having a tank made.
I?ve read many a tale of woe on here... don?t recall anyone saying their coach was totaled due to a black tank breaking.  How ?custom sized and fitted? ARE these things, anyway?

Sorry about your luck Chuck  ;)  Seriously though.

In answer to are they all different, I'm sure not all, but if you do a little searching for water tanks you'll find a huge variety of shapes and sizes. I would imagine the floor plan is designed first, and the tanks are designed to fit in whatever space is leftover.

You may want to give salvage yards a try

Thanks. When I suggested a used tank, the owner of the shop just laughed and said, “you be willing to put a used black tank in?  Most of this job is going to labor.”  I see his point.

Our original plan was to stay at Gulf State Park through December. Cancelled that reservation and are moving into a Gulf side condo this weekend for three weeks instead. Coach will be stored by the same outfit that’s going to repair it. We’re driving the car back to Ohio for the holidays and, hopefully, we’ll pick up repaired coach when we return and head on down to Florida.

Laura & Charles said:
Nothing, huh?  Not even a, ?sorry ?bout your luck, Chuck??  Is having to replace a black that rare of an event?  Anybody on here ever had to do that?  The worst part is having to have one custom made.

Never heard of one with your issue for sure.  I'm glad you are hiring it out, because it would be a 'shi**y job to do yourself.  Kinda sounds like the mechanics feel the same way.  There are hundreds of configurations available, seems after they got your underbelly cleared, there would be more options.  Sometimes people don't post (especially myself) if I never have any experience or wisdom to add to the poster.  I think that might be the case here.  Good luck, it's kinda one of those things that need repaired.  Maybe check with a mobile mechanic.  People love those guys, and a guy might be moonlighting from his day job, and need the extra Xmas money.

I did spend sometime looking on line for black tank replacement....and they are out there. But everything seem to be targeting adding a tank not replacing.

I do know a little about plastic and it can be repaired depending on the damage. That said I would consider a mobile mechanic.

I would also add that having one custom make is going to be crazy expensive. Don't be to quick to dismiss the used one idea.

Good Luck

Gizmo100 said:
Don't be to quick to dismiss the used one idea.

I agree, this seems to be a fluke, not common IMO.  Last I checked, Plastic lasts a pretty long time, I wouldn't hesitate to put a used plastic tank in for replacement.  I mean, it's not like a transmission or engine, it's a plastic poop holding tank.  The labor; I still think a mobile mechanic might be your best option.  And like Gismo100 said, good chance it can be repaired.  It just sounds like the Dealer is bracing you for a slap in the face Invoice, that might not be necessary.  At minimum, I'd get yet another opinion.  Keep us posted on the outcome, good luck  :))

Also keep in mind that you just need one that will fit in the same space, it does not have to be the exact same size or shape.

We replaced the black tank in our old motorhome (1999 Rexhall Aerbus).  It is expensive and most of the cost is labor.  Ours was $2,600.  IIRC, the tank was maybe $4-500.  Getting to the tank required removing a side panel.  Not rocket science but beyond my DIY skill set. 

Finding a tank was not an issue for the repair facility.  Don't recall but pretty sure it was a company in the So California area.  I'd be surprised if Fleetwood would spend the money on a custom sized holding tank.  Possible but an expensive way to build a gas motorhome. 

Suggest you contact another repair facility.  If you can't find a Fleetwood dealer in your area, contact Niels RV in Van Nuys, CA.  Phone > 818 584-2289.  They can at least answer your question regarding availability of replacement tanks.  If you can find one, you can also buy it  and have it shipped to your location. 

Isaac-1 said:
Also keep in mind that you just need one that will fit in the same space, it does not have to be the exact same size or shape.
I agree with Isaac.  Get the right dimensions to fit the hole, then add the needed holes for vent, drain, and influent.  Add sensors.  It should not require a custom built tank!

I used to purchase tanks ,Black, Gray and water for custom passenger ferry boats, I used Ronco Plastics they make stock and custom tanks with size and penetrations where ever you want them. They are in Tustin, CA 714-259-0759.

I'm highly skeptical that a new tank is needed. Based on your description, it sounds as though the leak is at the flange where the toilet drain line enter. That could probably be sealed. If not, e.g. the tank is cracked or otherwise damaged at that point, it can still be repaired in place with an ABS or polyethylene patching compound.  Too few RV shops do rep[airs - their answer to anything is "replace it".  Sounds as though the major issue is the labor to get at it, and labor is expensive (well over $100/hr).

As others have advised, tanks of all shapes and sizes are available. Another thing that few RV shops do well is locate parts. If the RV manufacturer or their parts distributor doesn't have it in their catalog, they give up. There are plenty of tank supppliers - just Google "waste water tank' and you get many of them. Here are a couple possibles:

https://www.plastic-mart.com/black_water_tanks.aspx
https://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=1163

Update: I dropped the coach off Monday and spoke at length with the owner. We discussed much of what I learned from you?all.
He called me today and said the tank does NOT need replaced, or even repaired. Seems the brackets holding it in place, didn?t. The tank had moved so that the fitting on the inlet pipe had cracked and was no longer aligned. That fitting is all that needs replaced and he?s going to beef up the brackets.
In fairness, any assessment done before was from a distance and a bad viewing angle. Until they removed the wheels and cut an access panel, they could only speculate.
Thanks again for all the replies!

Laura & Charles said:
Update: I dropped the coach off Monday and spoke at length with the owner. We discussed much of what I learned from you?all.
He called me today and said the tank does NOT need replaced, or even repaired. Seems the brackets holding it in place, didn?t. The tank had moved so that the fitting on the inlet pipe had cracked and was no longer aligned. That fitting is all that needs replaced and he?s going to beef up the brackets.
In fairness, any assessment done before was from a distance and a bad viewing angle. Until they removed the wheels and cut an access panel, they could only speculate.
Thanks again for all the replies!

And they all lived happily ever after........Glad it all worked out :)

Back
Top Bottom