Colorado, Finally!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, RV Forum Framily.
6/29/07  5:22 AM Mountain time

We arrived at the Valley Mobile Park, Buena Vista, CO, yesterday morning. Our journey took us from the SKP Lone Star Corral in D'Hanis, TX, to Aledo, TX to Amarillo, TX to La Junta, CO, to Buena Vista, CO.  The parks we stayed at on the way were: Cowtown RV Park, Aledo, TX ( my rating 7 out of 10), Fort Amarillo RV Resort, Amarillo, TX( 9 out of 10, has a fishing pond), KOA-LaJunta(6 out of 10, tight turns for a 40 ft. Blue Bird, and slightly short sites, only RV park in area for 50 miles). 

We have wonderful scenic views here at Valley Mobile Park, Buena Vista, as this park is located between 2 mountain ranges. We are at 8,000 ft. elevation. Jack and I get pooped pretty quickly but our 11 yr. old grandson Cole,  is an energizer bunny!!!  The humidity here is very low.

Because this park was a mobile home park, the sites are spacious. The power is good, too. We are on mountain time so we have to get used to the time change.

Cole and Jack are going fishing this morning. The temperature dropped from about 78 yesterday afternoon to 42 at 4 AM this morning. Jack has his desired climate.  :D 

Will write and let y'all know how the fishing trip turns out.

Regards,
Jack, Liz, Cole and Oreo Pearce

Howdy, Framily.

July 5, 2007

We celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary by doing a little sightseeing.  We drove out on a country road to see the Midland tunnels carved through an mountain outcropping, in the 1880's.

Then we drove to Hartsel, CO to try and see a large buffalo herd that was supposed to be there. But no luck. We just saw cattle.  :D    We did find another country road that gives fishing access to the South Platte River. The road is public but it goes through private property. Actually this road was really a dirt track. Glad that we have a Jeep!!  While traversing this area, we saw a small herd of pronghorn antelope. We took some photos, using the zoom feature, but the herd was just too far away.

We headed back to Buena Vista about 3 PM through some rain showers. We could see rain far across these plains. After we got back to the rv park, the rain really came down like a cow on a flat rock. We had accumulations of hailstones, pea-sized. The roads in this park are dirt so there was a lot of erosion caused by the downpour. That storm was really something!! The temperature dropped about 45 degrees very rapidly. Lots of arcing/sparking and loudenboomers.

July 6, 2007.
Jack and Cole are up and out by 6 AM to go fishing. They went to Crystal Lake, a little north on Hwy 24. Four rainbow trout were caught, the largest caught by Cole. We are having rainbow trout for supper.  Yum. 

Regards,
Jack, Liz, Cole and Oreo Pearce

I am attaching some photos and hope they transmit OK.

Attachments

• Coles_3_fish (Medium).jpg
    Coles_3_fish (Medium).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Happy_fisherman (Medium).jpg
    Happy_fisherman (Medium).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Jacks_Fish (Medium).jpg
    Jacks_Fish (Medium).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 15
  • July_5_2007 016 (Medium).jpg
    July_5_2007 016 (Medium).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Midland_RR_tunnel (Medium).jpg
    Midland_RR_tunnel (Medium).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 19
  • July_5_2007 015 (Medium).jpg
    July_5_2007 015 (Medium).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Prairie_Dog (Medium).jpg
    Prairie_Dog (Medium).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 19
Hi Liz, Jack and Cole.

You're making me homesick for my Rocky Mountain home !! When it rains here, the temperature doesn't drop and the humidity goes shooting up....ick. We'll be headed home Monday after we pick up Sam at the kennel and our mail (hopefully) catches up to us. Is there a reason why Priority Mail takes 7 days to get from Colorado to Tennessee? It only took us 5 days to drive here  :)

Wendy
Opryland Hotel, Nashville

I don't know about Colorado to Tenn. , but it takes NINE days from North Carolina to South Texas, but only two days back for regular first class.
Go figure.

Dave
Currently in Denile National Park

Back
Top Bottom