Anyone here have any experience building or using one of these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HroR-FYhCx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8tnHIMNqTo

Put a blanket on any straps in case they break they wont hit you.

I have maybe 100+ stumps to pull that average maybe 4-8 inches in diam, some bigger, some smaller. I dont know if the chain/rope is fixed at the top of the beam, I dont have any experience with this sort of thing, I think that it would have to be fixed.

Not sure how its fixed although Im sure I could come up with something.

Not sure how height of the tool versus height of the stump play with one another for optimal pull leverage.

Im hoping to answer these questions.

Ideally Id like to find something online that shows a clear picture of the tool so that I can follow the details but cant seem to find a name for it.

QZ said:
Put a blanket on any straps in case they break they wont hit you.
Yes I know this, I do alot of pulling with chains ( automobile repair )

Be careful pulling stumps, I have known more than one person that was killed doing it, usually when the tractor flips over backwards, or the chain / strap breaks.  One that comes to mind was a guy that did not know that the tree he was trying to pull had grown around a steel fence post, ...

Last stump I watched being pulled was "pre-pulleed" as it were.. You see as I was pulling into the campground one of the trees seemed way too close to the road. IN fact it brushed against my RV (WHich was on the road) So I got on site and went to register and was going to report the tree to management but by the time we got my registration done the tree was lying across the road.. I'd interrupted it's falling over... Well they made firewood out of it promptly but it was a couple months before they hooked a chain on the stump and pulled it.  Easy pull since it was already loose.

As IBTripping commented, it's a sound principle. You could extrapolate the approximate height of the stump and apparatus by estimating the height of the van in the first clip. I've also seen a similar concept used by draping the chain over a tire/rim. It would only work for shorter stumps, of course.

malexander said:
IN MY MIND, all I can see is the 2X4's breaking.
malexander
If you are worried about that use bigger lumber, (like 4x4s, or bigger)

1930 said:
I have maybe 100+ stumps to pull that average maybe 4-8 inches in diam,

That's a LOT of stumps.  Have you considered renting a Stump Grinder for the weekend?  I say this because, you pull the stump, you have a hole to fill.  Grinder, just rake mound up chips over hole and they will break down.  I don't know your project, but 100 stumps, man that's like 600 beers worth of work.  ;)

I remember seeing a similar setup in use many years ago on a neighboring farm. The leverage frame was made from a couple of ~6" diameter logs. As best I can recall it, the cable they used was not attached to the lever.

SpencerPJ said:
That's a LOT of stumps.  Have you considered renting a Stump Grinder for the weekend?  I say this because, you pull the stump, you have a hole to fill.  Grinder, just rake mound up chips over hole and they will break down.  I don't know your project, but 100 stumps, man that's like 600 beers worth of work.  ;)

600 Beers?? I don't want to be around for the last half of that job...........HERE HOLD MY BEER!!!

The stump grinder is a good idea it might be cheaper than repairs to the truck or tractor used for the pulling

Depending on the intended use for the land, stump grinders can leave a lot of root stock in the ground that can be a problem for field prep for crops or digging foundations. Pulling stumps usually takes more of the roots out.

I'm gonna (assuming this works ) let the stumps lie there and the rain will wash off the dirt.

I have welding blankets to drape over the chains.

I can't drag a stump grinder all over 5 acres of property.

I plan to build there in a few years so leaving a degrading stump in the ground isn't a good option.

I'm sorry that I can't post pict. for the guys with slow internet, my pictures are too small and it's wasteful.

Here is a link to what I built yesterday outta 4x6 and I'm gonna give it a go today.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/uhn5a8bi/

Might be the pictures won't show, I'm on my phone now so it's not like a regular comp.

I'll post inages when I get back home if need be

Looks awesome.  Love the pics.  Thanks for explaining to us nosy people.  :)

Be great if it works you can youtube a video link for us.

I would say lateral supports will be mandetory. Stumps do not necessarily come straight up and any extra root resistance on one side will pull it to that side.

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom