Leveling blocks/chocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo100

We recently took the TT to Arkansas to visit the MIL..

While trying to find a spot to to set up I realized the entire yard is slopped in 2 directions. This proved to be a challenge when trying to level the trailer.

I use the leveling blocks and the matching chocks on the low side and just reg. chocks on the high side.
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00015-Lynx-Levelers-Pack/dp/B0028PJ10K/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1543603221&sr=1-5&keywords=leveling+blocks+for+travel+trailer

It seemed to me that the leveling blocks and chocks were not very stable. I doubt they would stop the trailer from moving.

With the chocks on the other side and the x-braces installed I doubt anythings going to move. But when we go back in a few weeks for X-mas I will need to use extra care when getting hooked up to bring her home.

I may have to come up with some other more stable options.

My yard is uneven in two directions, too.  It is low in the back at ? inch per foot, or about 8 inches lower at the axles than the landing gear.  It is also off about 1 ? inches side to side.

I pull in, then back onto 2 x 12's with one extra one on the left side, which levels side to side.  The landing gear drops the front to a couple inches off the ground.  Even with these chocks      https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Fastway-ONEstep-XL-Tandem-Axle-Wheel-Chock-p/17-0278.htm      the camper still rolls back an inch or two when I unhitch.  After that, it is quite stable.  I have never had a problem when I hitch back up.  My bigger issue is soft ground!

I may need to add the 2 x 12 to my set up. Soft ground was also a problem which is why I chose the spot. I was trying to avoid the lowest parts of the yard they seem to stay wet and it's all uphill to the driveway.

Gizmo100 said:
We recently took the TT to Arkansas to visit the MIL..

I may have to come up with some other more stable options.

You could ask your wife to ask her mom to drop a truckload of raked gravel  8)

OR, stop at Menards and get a couple large concrete pavers if this is going to be a common occurrence. 

Side note: You pull that trailer through a wet yard and make a rut or get stuck, you'll never hear the end of it. :eek: 

SpencerPJ said:
You could ask your wife to ask her mom to drop a truckload of raked gravel  8)

OR, stop at Menards and get a couple large concrete pavers if this is going to be a common occurrence. 

Side note: You pull that trailer through a wet yard and make a rut or get stuck, you'll never hear the end of it. :eek:

First let me say I love the way you quoted me....Visit MIL....More stable options..

The gravel would never fly....Even if I paid for it she wouldn't want it in the yard

Pavers could work..I may try that for the long term
Ruts in the yard would become my problem to fix....Every time we visit my first chore is to mow the grass. This last visit I had to stop halfway though the job...Due to snow....LOL That was a fist for me.

Gizmo100 said:
Every time we visit my first chore is to mow the grass. This last visit I had to stop halfway though the job...Due to snow....LOL That was a fist for me.
I'm sure you are appreciated  :))
That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

I purchased the red bucket-type blocks made by Andersen.  They work great.

Prior to that, I had a bunch of 2" x 8" x 16" treated lumber boards that I used.  The Andersen blocks are 8" high, so they are much better.

Senator said:
I purchased the red bucket-type blocks made by Andersen.  They work great.

Prior to that, I had a bunch of 2" x 8" x 16" treated lumber boards that I used.  The Andersen blocks are 8" high, so they are much better.
I'm was thinking about the lumber as a backup to my current level blocks. I'm not sure how the 8" blocks will help.
I was thinking these might work...Any thoughts

https://www.amazon.com/Leveler-Andersen-Minutes-Levelers-Leveling/dp/B01LYQ1Z8S/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543890798&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=3600+-+Ultimate+Trailer+Gear+Duffel+Bag+with+Gear

I have 2"x10" boards that I use for the side to side leveling and the fastway chocks. I have 2 that are 4' long, 2-3' long and 2-12" long. Only once have I ever had to use 3 stacked on the low side to raise the side to side to level. Whatever I don't use of these 6 boards get stacked under my tongue jack as a good place to lay by WD bars and to keep the jack from sliding if there is a major front to back slant also. Generally I have a 1' on the back side of a 4' on the ground level followed by a 4' on top of that if I need 2" of rise.

CincyGus said:
I have 2"x10" boards that I use for the side to side leveling and the fastway chocks. I have 2 that are 4' long, 2-3' long and 2-12" long. Only once have I ever had to use 3 stacked on the low side to raise the side to side to level. Whatever I don't use of these 6 boards get stacked under my tongue jack as a good place to lay by WD bars and to keep the jack from sliding if there is a major front to back slant also. Generally I have a 1' on the back side of a 4' on the ground level followed by a 4' on top of that if I need 2" of rise.

I've been thinking that the wood planks would be my best bet. I like the idea of the different length pieces. Sometime the simply ways is the best. The leveling blocks don't impress me on the soft yard.

I too prefer to dig down a few inches to help level things. This can get a bit messy though when preparing to leave on the last morning. We have also used the yellow lego-type flat blocks and we have had good luck with those.

Rene T said:
Instead of stacking boards 3 high, I usually dig down 3" to 4" on the opposite side.

I was thinking some method of tying the boards together if I need to go 3 high. But that said I still in the thinking phase. It's parked in Arkansas until after Xmas/New years. When it goes back to Arkansas we will hopefully be moving there and I will find a better long term spot.

Digging sounds good until somebody gets hurt...As in me ;D  But it could be an option, My wife knows how to us a shovel or so she keeps telling me :eek:

First, some campgrounds will be less than impressed with you digging holes in their campsites.  Pretty sure the National Park people would freak out.

Second.  If your camper is stored in Arkansas, I hope you winterized it.  My bro-in-law is in Little Rock right now and he's not been happy with my weather reports from Quartzsite, AZ.  From the looks of the weather map, the people who rent my house are probably stuck in the house today, unable to get out due to the snow.

Old_Crow said:
First, some campgrounds will be less than impressed with you digging holes in their campsites.  Pretty sure the National Park people would freak out.

I've never had any issues. If the site is that far off level, just ask them.  Digging in a little may be the only option. Just make sure you fill them in when leaving.

Rene T said:
I've never had any issues. If the site is that far off level, just ask them.  Digging in a little may be the only option. Just make sure you fill them in when leaving.
May need to add a shovel to my load....I guess it could do double duty as a snake disposal tool.

HappyWanderer said:
Step chocks.

Are these screwed together? or just stacked?

As I said I'm still at the thinking stages...Once we get the TT home it will be mid Feb. before we head out again.
One thing I am starting to wondering about....I may need to get a Bigger TT just to haul all the things that keep adding to list.....But then if I get a bigger TT then I may need a bigger Truck...Hmm I wonder how bad the Wife would beat me :-\

My step chocks are screwed together. They nest together, so I can carry four of them stacked in the rear compartment and only take eight inches of compartment space. I also carry a couple of long planks that fit underneath, so I could go four high - but that's pretty rare.

To connect your 2x10 boards, drill a 5/16" hole through the stack at each end and drop a ?" carriage bolt into the holes to keep them together.

Gizmo100 said:
May need to add a shovel to my load....I guess it could do double duty as a snake disposal tool.

https://www.armynavypx.com/Rothco-Folding-Pick-Shovel-p/RTC-68.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1p7wkZKU3wIVBbjACh3chgA3EAQYASABEgJuUPD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom