Do you have a fire extinguisher on board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I have one just inside the door. It came with the RV and I highly recommend you get one.
I would go look at it to get the type but right now it's 600 miles from me. But it should be easy to find the correct one.
I'm even thinking about getting a second one. The kitchen is right in the middle of the RV. If your in the bathroom and a fire breaks out you could be trapped.

Here is some great information about fire extinguishers.  I believe Mac is out of business, but still some good information.

http://www.macthefireguy.com/

Most RVs come with a small one. Be sure to bounce it around shake it up inverte it and generally abuse it from time to time (To keep the powder from caking) I have a much larger one and a pair of foam "All-Fire" cans  Those little cans are impressive

I have 1 conventional RV type extinguisher and 2 of the small new "fire gone" aerosol foam cans, these would be my first line of attack for small fires as they don't create nearly as much mess.

Definitely!  I think we have four inside (bedroom, kitchen, 2 at entry) and maybe another one outside, plus one in the Jeep.  We just bought new ones and switched them around which is why I sound hazy.  Gotta check that outside one (underbay) as to where we put it or if that's my imagination.  :eek: The standard RV ones probably don't do much which is why we also have others.

ArdraF

Yes, I have one beside the door.  Probably a bad location, but that is where it is.  In Kentucky, it is REQUIRED to pass state inspection, along with a smoke detector.

Having a fire extinguisher AND functional emergency exits can save your life!

I have 3 on board, 1 by the front door, 1 in the mid-coach 1/2 bath and 1 in the rear bath

Gizmo100 said:
Yes I have one just inside the door. It came with the RV and I highly recommend you get one.

Well this is a little embarrassing. I told my wife we need to get one and she reminded me that we do indeed already HAVE one! "Oh yeah... now I remember." Even worse it fell off a couple of months back where it was attached next to the door when someone was trying to rotate the passenger seat and I had my Nephew reattach it!

But at the very least it's a good reminder. I need to check it as I have no idea how old it is or how viable it still might be. Also like the approach of others who responded saying they have multiple extinguishers. I think that's a good idea.

Started thinking about it when a friend sent me a video of a burning car in a wreck and passersby extinguished the fire and rescued the driver. Hopefully  I'll never have to deal with anything that dramatic, but even something like a grease fire can be pretty frightening.

I have  4 fire extinguishers inside and out.

In 1976 my home burned to the ground. Sadly, my pets were not rescued in time.

I've also been on a boat at sea that was on fire. We got it out thankfully.

I also have a small fire extinguisher next to the stove. It's about the size of a typical aerosol can.

Christmas ideas...
For the person that has everything, get them a small fire extinguisher to keep by the stove.  8)

I have a couple of large AFFF extinguishers, one in the bedroom and one up front, plus several of those spray cans I've accumulated. I also have an AFFF extinguisher in the engine bay (wishful thinking  I know) and a CAG extinguisher in both the transfer-switch and converter compartments. No room for anthing on the refrigerator but I have an ARP on it.

Good Topic,

One thing that I worry about, is the mess after discharging a powered fire extinguisher. Granted, it is better than the RV going up in flames but the mess it leaves if you put out the fire can be quite a mess. Wondering how many have a CO2 fire extinquisher? They are more expensive but put out ABC type fires. Might be bad to use in such a closed space (no oxygen after a short bit). I'd like to hear from fire fighters and their opinion on the subject!

Keep in mind you can keep a box or two of baking soda in the kitchen to put out grease fires.

And for all that haven't done it yet, check all your fire extinguishers to see if they have been recalled. There are links in the recall section of the forum here. If it/they have been recalled, a simple phone call will have new ones being sent to you quickly. Put the old ones in the box(es) attached the prepaid label and ship back.

The OP doesn't say what type of RV.  If you are towing anything, many states require a fire extinguisher and road flares.

lynnmor said:
The OP doesn't say what type of RV.  If you are towing anything, many states require a fire extinguisher and road flares.

We have a Class A. As I mentioned earlier, there is one extinguisher just inside the door to the right. Definitely going to check that out and perhaps add additional extinguishers in both the coach and TOAD thanks to the comments posted here.

DearMissMermaid said:
I have  4 fire extinguishers inside and out.

In 1976 my home burned to the ground. Sadly, my pets were not rescued in time.

I've also been on a boat at sea that was on fire. We got it out thankfully.

I also have a small fire extinguisher next to the stove. It's about the size of a typical aerosol can.

Christmas ideas...
For the person that has everything, get them a small fire extinguisher to keep by the stove.  8)

If you have a grease flame up, will you get burned reaching for the extinguisher?  If so, move it.

5 spread around and in basement of motorhome.1 haylon behind refridgerator.
Make sure you cut the plastic zip tie off the pin if equiped put tape on it to keep it in.

Twice I've had to clean up after using a fire extinguisher.

Once on a large tall ship at sea, the bar caught on fire and the extinguisher left fine white powder every where. We used a vacuum cleaner and microfiber cloths to clean it all up.

Then I accidentally had an extinguisher go off in my RV basement. Sheesh.

Tons of vacuuming to get it all out again.  ::)

Back
Top Bottom