Another "newbie" question concerning Dish/Directv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArmorWrapGuy

My 08 Pace Arrow has the tracvision system in it (not the in-motion one). The previous owner took the receiver out of it but I did find a direct tv remote in a cabinet so I know that's what he used. I'm going to go with Dish for a few reasons but I don't know if its just plug and play. Do I need to get on the roof and change some dip switches for DISH network (thought I read that once) or can i just plug in the new receivers and follow the instructions?

I can see the satellite switch in a cabinet and right above it is some type of serial port and saw something about a key for this port which helps locate the satellite? or something like that....

Any help or direction is much appreciated.

I do have some other questions which I may just ask here.
The hot water heater and fridge can run on propane and electric. Is there some sort of pilot I need to light or is this all automatic?
I know there are switches for the fridge which allows me to select either but if I select propane do I need to  make sure something is lit?

thank you

Welcome!!

Some adjustment will be necessary to change over to Dish (different satellites used) but not all dishes/systems have those switches available. You will need the model of your Tracvision system to check that out. A Dish compatible receiver will also be required as perhaps some other stuff. A call to Tracvision is perhaps in order to confirm anything/everything. Have your model number ready before calling!

The hot water heater is likely a DSI  (Direct Spark Ignition) model but to confirm that you will need the make and model.

The fridge is very likely DSI as well and will light itself when turned on if there is no 120V available and the Auto button is depressed. It will default to Electric mode if 120V is detected.  To force the fridge into gas mode, release the Auto button. BUT... be aware it could take quite a few attempts to light in Gas mode especially if the gas was just turned. There is always some air trapped in the gas piping and the fridge is very fussy about that. We always suggest that after turning on the gas, light the stove for 5 minutes or so to help purge the air from the system. The Air in the lines effect is also true for the furnace and the water heater (in gas mode).

It would be wise to download copies of the appliance manuals. Here is one spot where many can be found using the various makes and models:Http:bryantrv.com/docs.html

Thanks a bunch! Very informative. I have the Pace Arrow manual but it is pretty basic. The previous owner did leave all paperwork and manuals in a cabinet so I will find out which tracvision it is. I almost bought some dish receivers yesterday so I'm glad I held off for now.

It looks like i have KVH tracvision R5/R4Sl which supports dtv and dish and there is a small section about setting up dish in "500 mode" so I need a receiver and it all should come together.

One more DISH/Direct comment.
DIrecTV is basically discontinuing in favor of DirecHDT (They are droppign standard def) I do not know if satellite 101W will still be in use.  (This is the SD bird) or if it will be re-tasked.

DISH uses 3 out of six birds (110/119/127 I think) your Trackvision may not be able to see all 3 at one time or even see the 3rd bird at all depending on how current the software is

WIth a SINGLE receiver like a VIP211. works well if it can change birds or if you can manually change birds... Not good with multiple receivers.

John From Detroit said:
DIrecTV is basically discontinuing in favor of DirecHDT (They are droppign standard def) I do not know if satellite 101W will still be in use.  (This is the SD bird) or if it will be re-tasked.

As has been reported on this and other forums, DirecTV is going to be broadcasting HD programming from the 101 satellite starting in late 2019.  Most of those dome systems that haven't been able too get DirecTV HD will now be able to.  HD will also be broadcast from 119 which some dome and portable systems can also receive.  Most of what will be on 99 and 103 will be local channels for various markets.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom