Can we heat using a battery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookcamper

My husband and I own a 91 Coleman Sun Valley and are looking for a newer model.  Yesterday we looked at a 00 Coleman Cheyenne - perfect size, great condition.  It has a roof heater/AC unit.

We camp at  a location that does not have electrical hookups.  We use a battery to power the propane heater.  Lights and outlets work off the battery as well but we use sparingly if at all.

The gentleman who was showing us the trailer says we can hook up a battery (it does not come with one) to power the fridge but that the heater, lights and outlets are on a 110 and require an electrical hook up. 

Is this true?  Could we buy this trailer and power the heat from a battery? ???

If the heater only runs on 110V, the only way to run it through the battery would be with an inverter to convert the power from 12VDC to 110VAC.  However the power required for the heater would require a large inverter and would also drain your battery in no time.  You would probably need more batteries than the trailer can handle to be able to use it.

So in theory, yes you can.  In reality, no you can't.

If you camp where there is no electricity, you need a propane heater with a 12VDC blower than can run off the battery or you need to get a generator to run the heater.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but better to know before buying than after.

I had a popup for several years.

Heat from a battery like 56kz2slow said isn't practical.

I considered several alternatives and decided that I didn't camp without electric hookups in cold weather.

If cold weather camping without hookups is a priority for you, to me the best alternative is a furnace.  The catalytic heaters are supposedly safe and are cheaper but I was afraid of them.

Joel

cookcamper said:
Could we buy this trailer and power the heat from a battery? ???

The responses you have gotten have answered that question -- in that the power requirement is too high to heat directly from battery power. They "are" making DC electric blankets now that can be gotten on line or at most larger truck stops. They only pull between 4 and 6.5 amps and can heat up to 130 degrees depending upon the ambient temps. HERE is one web site that has one for around $40.00. The better ones I have seen in truck stops run as high as $100 or so according to the size. I like this idea more than being confined to a sleeping bag.

But during the day -- propane is the way most RVers heat when not hooked up. Or, when we are hooked up but respect the RV parks rules for using electric heaters. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom