Peel and stick flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
My wife really wants to install replacement floors in the kitchen/bathroom area (where there's already vinyl flooring we'd be covering), and the "peel and stick" variety of vinyl squares seems like the easiest and cheapest option right now.  Anyone ever used this stuff for the RV, with any degree of success (or failure)?  Some of the difficulties I'm anticipating are getting around the toilet, and the floor adhesive's exposure to extreme heat/humidity when the rig is closed up and not being used in the summer.  The good news (for me) is that my wife has volunteered to complete the project herself (!) although I anticipate being called in as a reinforcement at some point.  ;)

I have done peel and stick in 2 different rigs.  I suggest removing toilet to tile under it.  I used a heavy rolling object (rolling pin)  to make sure it adhered.
The downfall of this process for me was the first floor had a texture and it showed thru, slightly.  I loved the ease the tile went down.  It took alot of razor blades and a heavy duty straight edge, also great pair of scissors.  Don't be in rush, patience is a must.  Good luck.

The best solution is a new flooring technology called TacFast systems.  It is a universal free floating flooring system. The sub floor is made out of injected moulded polypropylene 2x2 plates that interlock and are easily cut and shaped with a utility knife.  The plates are guaranteed for a minimum of 25 yrs and have microhooks on them.  You then take standard flooring material which has a loop material applied to the backing.  What you end up with is a velcro like bond.  The flooring is moisture and mould resistant, there are no VOC's and you can apply different flooring substrates to the subfloor without the need for transitions.  When it is time to replace the flooring you just peel off the flooring and lay down a new substrate at a fraction of the cost.  It is an incredible system. The bond is so strong that you cannot move the flooring sideways yet it can be peeled up. IF you want to learn more let me know.

Well I found an incredible deal on some Peel-n-Stick at Lowe's yesterday, so I picked up a box and the wife is working on installing it right now.  So far the problem she's having is the edges... since there is no baseboard trim along the floor around our cabinets (like a house would have), little flaws are visible as none of the cabinets are lined up perfectly straight.  Sandra, did you experience this and if so what did you use to fill in the small gaps at the edges?

I used the peel 'n stick flooring in my bathroom, and it worked great. The thing to remember is to heat the tiles with a hair dryer (not mentioned in the instructions), and step firmly on them to insure a good contact. Let sit for a few days BEFORE sealing the edges with caulk (something I didn't do, at first) because the caulk will shrink during curing and pull the edges of adjoining tiles apart slightly. I had to cut the caulk line with a razor blade, re-heat and reposition the tiles, and then re-caulk after a few days. Don't make my mistake ;)

There are small gaps that can be visual, in my case not to many people would get on the floor that close to notice.  There is also quarter round molding, even some extremely small to cover those gaps. It is all the cutting of those edge tiles.

We just got back from vacation, so I'm just catching up on posts now.
We used peel and stick tile in one of our 5'ers. The carpet was old and really left alot to be desired. Plus, with all the sand in FL, we thought tile would be easier to keep clean. My husband put it down, but we used an add'l adhesive to make sure it stayed stuck down good. We also bought the sealer, which helped fill in the cracks between tiles so that spills wouldn't get underneath. If I remember correctly, he used small quarter-round trim to go around the edges of it all. After it was all done, it really looked very good and we were impressed with our first DIY job. And, it WAS easier to keep clean, just a broom and a damp mopping now and then. Hope your job turns out just as well!

LuAnn

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom