Sway Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddieeluu

Hello Guys!

I'm looking at adding ad on's to my 2011 Chevy Duramax 2500HD Diesel. I'm not sure if a front/rear sway bar is the way to go, or if there is an alternate option that you've liked better. I just recently purchased a 2018 Lance 855S and planning a trip out West towards California on December 26ish. We are towing a Phoenix bass boat (1,850lbs). I've installed airbags and fill them to about 80psi. Im installing Rancho 9000's this upcoming week.

Do you have any experience/advice on sway bar brands? or anything else. Also, if you know of any shops that installs Rancho 9000's and a sway bar in Minnesota, near Minneapolis area. Please let me know!

If you know, of anything else that is a necessity for a truck. When we loaded it up and brought it home from the dealer, there was a bad swaying. It's something I have to get used to, I understand that but I want to make sure I know of anything that you have good experience with.

Warmest Regards,
Maddie

I don't have advice for a sway bar.  That said, I'd look closely at the weight distribution in the trailer if you felt bad sway on the road.  Usually caused by not enough tongue weight.  You should have 10-15% of your trailers loaded weight on the tongue.....

This will show you why.... http://i.imgur.com/dYz2tCE.gifv

I dont have a trailer. I have a Lance truck camper 855S. I will be pulling a boat (1,850lbs)

HELLWIG BIG WIG SWAY BAR,,,,,,,,,Absolutely the best addition to my truck. Its amazing how much sway it tamps down, and its on a 3500 Ram Dually. The boat is not adding the sway, its the high profile load of a truck camper. Make sure you check that its compatible with airbags for fit. I have airbags and no problem installing. I just noticed that some applications noted not compatible with airbags when I was buying mine. I posted my install here on this forum, it was pretty easy,,,gregg

Broke Boater said:
HELLWIG BIG WIG SWAY BAR,,,,,,,,,Absolutely the best addition to my truck. Its amazing how much sway it tamps down, and its on a 3500 Ram Dually. The boat is not adding the sway, its the high profile load of a truck camper. Make sure you check that its compatible with airbags for fit. I have airbags and no problem installing. I just noticed that some applications noted not compatible with airbags when I was buying mine. I posted my install here on this forum, it was pretty easy,,,gregg

what is your diameter? I've heard that is a big play in it.

maddieeluu said:
Hello Guys!

I'm looking at adding ad on's to my 2011 Chevy Duramax 2500HD Diesel. I'm not sure if a front/rear sway bar is the way to go, or if there is an alternate option that you've liked better. I just recently purchased a 2018 Lance 855S and planning a trip out West towards California on December 26ish. We are towing a Phoenix bass boat (1,850lbs). I've installed airbags and fill them to about 80psi. Im installing Rancho 9000's this upcoming week.

Do you have any experience/advice on sway bar brands? or anything else. Also, if you know of any shops that installs Rancho 9000's and a sway bar in Minnesota, near Minneapolis area. Please let me know!

If you know, of anything else that is a necessity for a truck. When we loaded it up and brought it home from the dealer, there was a bad swaying. It's something I have to get used to, I understand that but I want to make sure I know of anything that you have good experience with.

Warmest Regards,
Maddie

Not to be a stickler, but the term "anti-sway" means different things to different people. Sway, is more accurately referred to as yaw, or directional stability. Vehicles with leaf spring rear suspensions are susceptible to yaw, as the axle can shift sideways in the vehicle in a turn. A panhard rod will stop that. this is a bar that is bolted to the frame on one side of the truck, and to the axle on the opposite side. it prevents the axle from shifting sideways in the truck.

An anti-roll bar stops the vehicle from leaning in a turn.

As you are talking about a truck with a camper on it, I assume that you are more concerned about roll resistance than yaw, correct?

Pretty much all vehicles come with front anti-roll bars, as it is the front wheels that do the steering. turning the steering wheel to the left causes the front tires to move to the left causing the body of the truck to roll to the right. An anti roll bar is simply a torsion rod that connects the left wheel to the right wheel. Taking the same example of a left turn, the truck tends to roll to the right, which puts more weight on the right wheel, compressing the springs. The anti-roll bar transfers some of that weight to the left wheel suspension which tends to keep the truck from rolling too far to the right side.

All other things being equal, the larger the diameter of the anti roll bar, the greater the roll resistance will be. This is why oversized anti-roll bars are usually thicker.

At this point, I need to bow out. I have some knowledge of theory, but lack the expertise in practice. you need to talk to a suspension expert as to whether a thicker front anti-roll bar, or the addition of a rear anti-roll bar will be of greater effect on your unit. I suspect that the rear one will be a greater help given that the weight of the camper is over the rear wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom