House Whirlpool Range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

Sometimes I get the best help from smart members of this forum.  On Thanksgiving, our broiler came one while baking the turkey and burned the top of the turkey.  I thought i might have inadvertently turned on the broiler by accident. We got an error message on the oven and it turned off.  I turned off the circuit breaker for a minute or two and then the oven seemed to work ok.  Today, my wife was baking a birthday cake and the broiler came on again and burned the top of the cake. 

Is this something I can fix myself?

My oven run both upper and lower burners for preheating.

Once the temperature has been reached it only uses the lower burner.

Your's may have a bad sensor or control card.

Hera's a link I found that may help you

https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/58231-Broiler-element-comes-on-instead-of-bake-element

They would be a control function rather than the broiler itself, so either a sensor (if yours is like Gizmo's) or the control board (newer models) or mechanical dial switch (older ones).

Can you DIY? Hard to say without some idea of your electrical & diagnostic skills. Fixing it is probably easy enough if you can figure out what needs fixing. However, parts availability can be iffy these days. Websites like appliancepartspros.com will get stuff to you quickly if available, but not everything is available from the manufacturer.

I don't know if ours uses the broiler to preheat but the broiler has come on after the oven has been at temperature for a while. I can do some DIY. And I can get most parts form a local appliance supply house.  The questions is, would I get the correct replacement part as I am guessing at the cause.

The last range had a problem and I spent about half the cost of a new range on a appliance technician that didn't correct the problem and ended up buying a new range after spending $ to fix the old one.

Lowell said:
  The questions is, would I get the correct replacement part as I am guessing at the cause.

That all I'm doing right now.....However you can use your model number off the oven and locate the sensor. Then check it for  around 1100 ohms. If it checks out good then look into ways to check your control board. As I understand ovens it's either one or the other in this situation.

Even if you replace both;
Sensor around          $100
Control board around $150

$250.00 is about what the repair guy would charge just to due the labor.

That said...I would just tell my wife to use the grill...LOL....

At those prices, I'd see if I couldn't find a convection microwave to replace the standard microwave. It'll cook much better and you can remove the old oven and use the space for storage!

Ernie

Well, I looked at a couple of You Tube videos and it doesn't look to be too difficult to test or replace the sensor or to replace the control board.  So I will be pulling the range back from the wall and doing some testing this week. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

The interesting this is that after a bad occurrence yesterday, I shut off the circuit breaker for a minute, turned it back on and restarted the oven and it finished the baking correctly.  But since we have had this problem twice now, I know its only a matter of time until it does it again.

I checked the sensor and got a good reading so I guess it must be the control board. I suspected it was the control board as it held 375F yesterday OK.  The cost of a new control board is $361. The problem seems to occur when we go 400F or higher.

So now, the decision is, do I replace the control board and hope that it solves the problem or bite the bullet and buy a new range?  I leaning toward buying a new one.

Lowell said:
I checked the sensor and got a good reading so I guess it must be the control board. I suspected it was the control board as it held 375F yesterday OK.  The cost of a new control board is $361. The problem seems to occur when we go 400F or higher.

So now, the decision is, do I replace the control board and hope that it solves the problem or bite the bullet and buy a new range?  I leaning toward buying a new one.

Double OUCH!!...That's That a tough one to call...Your a 1/4 to 1/3 of the way to a new one. I guess it would depend on the the age of the existing one and the desire to upgrade.

Wife says buy a new one so we will do that. Everyone needs a happy spouse. 

The problem range is a 5 year, 4 months old Whirlpool. Although I hadn't bought an extended warranty, I see that a five year extended warranty would have expired about 3 months too soon.

Lowell said:

Happy Wife = Happy life......or working oven = Hot dinner.

John From Detroit said:
You can completely disable the broiler element. Either remove it or find a wire and disconnect.

Beyond that I can not advise..

John, I don't think you were paying attention

Lowell said:
No Man in his right mind would go up against his wife....LOL

John From Detroit said:
You can completely disable the broiler element. Either remove it or find a wire and disconnect.

I thought about doing too. But wife said that when she used two racks/shelfs this past Sunday, the food on the bottom rack got too brown and the food on the above rack was just OK.  So back to the happy wife.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom