Wiring Question - Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ue40hole5

Here is a copy of my original question.
Changing propane alarm. Old one (CC I Controls) has 3 wires, 2 red 1 yellow. New one (Safe-T-Alert) has 2 wires 1 red 1 black. What connects to what?. The harness adapter supplied is no help as it is built to attach to the wiring harness with a plug and no plug is present in the coach wiring.

Here is the latest new info.
3 wires from the coach wiring, grey, red, yellow.
Old alarm (CCI) has 2 red and 1 yellow.
It was connected 1 red to red, 1 red to grey, yellow to yellow.
I found a wiring diagram for the old propane alarm that shows that shows 1 red connected the battery, 1 red to the converter, yellow to the gas shutoff valve.
The shutoff valve has two wires one yellow, one black, diagram shows the black going to '-' on the battery.
The new alarm (SAFE-T-ALERT) has 2 wires, 1 red 1 black.

Can I remove the shutoff valve from the system? I have read that it is no longer legally required. It looks to me like if I did that the black wire on the new alarm would have to be connected to ground.

If your old CCI was old enough to use a propane shut-off valve, then yes, that's what its yellow wire was for.  And yes, you can remove it.  In fact you MUST remove it, because it won't work with any newer model of detector that supports use of a gas valve.  The default state of the gas valve is closed, so no gas will pass through it.

Further, the new Saf-T-Alert model you have does NOT support a gas valve - you will have to exchange it for one that does if you want that function, and you will have to replace the shut-off with one that works with Saf-T-Alert.
The wires on the new one are red 12v+ and black 12v - (ground).  If you get then reversed, the detector won't power on (led doesn't light up). Just swap them

Back
Top Bottom