Motorhome Chasis/Engine Maintanance & Towbar Install?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVJeeper18

Where does everyone get routine maintenance done on their Motorhome Chassis and Engine?  People have recommended the local RV Dealers, but based on my experience I have ZERO confidence in them.  They seen barely able to do basic repairs to travel trailers much less Engine maintenance.  Also need to get a towbar, light kit, and maybe supplemental brake system for a Jeep Wrangler toad.

We have a Class C on the E450 Chassis with the V-10 engine.  Need basic maintenance - oil changes, Chassis Lube, Transmission and diff fluid changes etc.  If you have recommendations in the Houston, TX area that would be great.

Suggestions appreciated.

I do 99.99% of the maintenance myself.  Don't trust and can't afford anyone else to do it.

I take mine to the local Ford dealer, he has 2 bays for commercial trucks, and takes my RV in with them. Any Ford dealer who sells commercial vehicles should be able to do this, if yours can't, he'll surly know someone who can. BTW, my last lube and oil change cost less than $50.00.

RVJeeper18 said:
Where does everyone get routine maintenance done on their Motorhome Chassis and Engine?  People have recommended the local RV Dealers, but based on my experience I have ZERO confidence in them.  They seen barely able to do basic repairs to travel trailers much less Engine maintenance.  Also need to get a towbar, light kit, and maybe supplemental brake system for a Jeep Wrangler toad.

We have a Class C on the E450 Chassis with the V-10 engine.  Need basic maintenance - oil changes, Chassis Lube, Transmission and diff fluid changes etc.  If you have recommendations in the Houston, TX area that would be great.

Suggestions appreciated.

engine and chassis work should be performed by a commerical truck outfit. Most RV dealers sub that work out to them in the first place.  I am lucky that my outfit is less than 300ft from where I store my RV and they can come and get it and return to my spot if I need them to. 

I'd take that model of coach to a Ford dealer, but ask first to make sure they have the facility to handle a tall vehicle like your Class C.  Ford dealers that handle larger trucks are your best bet. Otherwise, I'd try a truck repair shop - they likely have lifts (or a pit) that can handle that size vehicle.  Things like oil changes I would do myself - usually even easier than a car.

An RV dealer would be my very last choice for chassis service.  There are a few big RV dealers that have an actual chassis shop and trained chassis techs, but they are the exception.

For tow bar & related equipment, I would use an experienced hitch shop. Larger U-Haul places can usually handle it well enough, but I'd look for a hitch specialty shop. I'm not familiar with the Houston area, though.

I take mine to the local Cummin's shop.  Very few shops around me can handle a 45ft class A.  An RV shop would be my last choice for my rig.  Speedco did a lousy job when I used them once, would never go back.  Most commercial truck shops are pretty good that I've found.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom