Small Diesel 275 Cumming -vs- Gas Ford V10- Performance / Towing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV_Wizard said:
According to RVSafety.org, nearly half of all RVs are overweight on at least one wheel position. They may not exceed their GVWR, but the loading is heavy & unbalanced enough to overload either an entire axle or one end of an axle.  This is based on their actual weigh-ins of numerous rigs at RV rallys.
You would be surprised how many highly weight regulated Commercial vehicles... are driving around overweight on one or more axles.

I drove commercial trucks for years and I personally know how bad the weight cheating was.

Byoung6 said:
Just curious, what did you end up buying and how is it working out?

After alot of thought we decided to move out of San Antonio and down size. The only way we could stay in San Antonio and deal with the over head costs of life was to rent out the house and this was the reason I was thinking Class A or DP.  Our new home is much smaller, new sticks and bricks at a whopping 1115 sq ft.  We can keep all our treasures in the house and use this as a home base, coming and going without having to rent due to low overhead monthly costs. Small town Texas, lower overhead, no HOA and park the RV in the back yard.

Initially I was looking at the Class A thinking we were going to be nomads for the entire duration of a potential 12 month lease on our San Antonio home, and we would be in more of a full time position.  Once we decided to move out to small town Texas we decided on the Class C Winnebago Aspect 30J at 32.5 ft.  Now we plan on trying to do cumulative 3 months a year on the roads starting off with Texas state parks coming back to our home base and plan and save up for the next trip. 

The Aspect we are planning on buying next month is a 2017 with very low miles.  As long as the man has represented the RV as described I should be driving back from Michigan to Texas.

When pricing the A's, Sprinter-Benz, V10- Class Cs the insurance pricing was right where I wanted it to be annually with the Gas-Cs being the lowest. 

Also being a pure RV rookie with 0.00 experience I was a bit nervous of what if we found out that full timing got to be more expensive than expected had we kept the house in San Antonio and were locked into a Renter with 12 month lease.  Too many unknown variables at the end of the day.

As for the TOAD...I am debating on selling the Mazda CX-5 and getting a 2014 CRV we can 4 down tow.

I turn 57 next month.  I retired 30 June 2019.  We bought the new smaller house in my home town back in April.  We close the sale of our San Antonio Home on 5 August.  We are all in and we are going for it.  We went down and prepared the new home for what will hopefully be our Aspect 30J.  If for some reason it does not work we have other options for a C in the 30 ft range.  We only have one life to live and I am not going to be saying on my death bed (hopefully along time from now), I wished I would have........

Attachments

• 36x16.jpg
    36x16.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 15
  • gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom