Anyone towing with a late model Chevy Tahoe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max Lambert

Hello everybody,

I have owned two gas powered coaches and one 40 foot toy hauler.  I have towed many of trailers over the years of all kinds.  Regrettably, I sold my diesel dually and purchased a Jeep thinking that my next RV was going to be a diesel pusher and the Jeep would be my tow vehicle.  Plans change and sometimes put on hold.

My wife has a 2018 Tahoe and according to specifications, it will handle up to 8600 lbs.  Our Tahoe has the " max tow package ".  The engine is a 5.3L V8.  8600 lbs seems to be a lot to handle with this type of vehicle.  Yes, I don't have to buy something that heavy but I wish to have another toy hauler to bring the Harley on the road with us. I recognize I might need to re-think all of this but I wanted to get some input from all of you.

If you happen to be towing with a Tahoe or like kind short wheelbase SUV.  I would like to know what you are pulling and the pros and cons of such please.

Fire away and thanks in advance!

Max

I don't tow with one but we get questions about Tahoe/Yukon towing here from time to time.  It's a very capable vehicle up to its limits, but those limits are considerably lower than 3/4 and 1-ton pick-ups.  Basically it's a half ton truck with a heavy body, so take that 8600 lbs to heart. Remember, the weight of factory options, extra passengers and gear in the Tahoe further reduce its tow capacity, so you should probably limit the trailer to around 8000 lbs. GVWR.  That will likely severely limit the selection of toyhaulers.

So, I don't have a newer Tahoe, but I have a well maintained 2005 Yukon XL, 5.3 L, Tow package, and specs say it will pull 8200#.  I pull a 20' TT, fully loaded, close to 6500#, and I wouldn't want much more if any behind me.  I had a neighbor with similar set-up as me, on Suburban, tow package, bought a 25' trailer with slide, probably was pushing closer to 7500# loaded, he took it out to the mountains, hate how it struggled with the hills, brought it home and bought a Ram 2500 pick up.  Just in general, the Payload is one limiting factor, mine is a bit over 1500#, and after you get 6-700# tongue weight, a few people, a full tank of gas, you are at it's limits. 

I'm not saying you can't find a 23' toy hauler, that will stay in your specs, but I wouldn't do a 25' or more.  Other factors make that unsafe.

Not a Tahoe, but we tow with a 2012 Suburban (which I think is similar to the Tahoe but with a longer wheel base) with the max tow package.  Our trailer is 23'4 (tongue to bumper) with a GVWR of 5300.  My husband has been happy with the way it tows our trailer, but I don't think we'd want to tow anything much heavier with it.  And it does struggle a bit going up steep hills in the mountains.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful!

The entry-level toy haulers are going to be pushing the limits regarding weight so that's out.

I was just looking at some regular TT's about an hour ago in the 5300 to 5800 lb range that should fit well for what we want to do and well below the limit.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom