Microwave turns and runs, but nothing gets hot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
We left and went away for a day, and when we came back the microwave would not get hot. Diane put a cup of cold water in it to make tea, and 2 minutes later it was still ice cold.  She checked the convection portion, and it heated up as normal. 

When turning it on, everything sounds completely normal.  It runs, the turntable turns, and the timer counts down. But nothing heats.  BTW it is a Sharp Convection Carousel.

Any ideas?

If you are lucky, an internal  fuse blew in the microwave portion (but that begs the question of "Why?").  If not, it's the magnetron (the things that generates the microwaves) and repairs cost more tan the microwave is worth.

I had one blow a fuse and thought the same thing.  I replaced it and gave the broken one to a neighbor. 

He replaced the fuse and still is using the microwave 10 years later.

In my humble opinion it?s worth finding and checking the fuses.

I was thinking magnetron as well, but it does not seem to be easily replaceable. And then if it's pricey, I may as well invest in a new one.

I replaced the magnatron in my microwave several years ago.  It was fairly easy since I used to work on them in the middle 80s.  Here's a picture of the oven just before I load tested it.

Attachments

• Rusty Micro.jpg
    Rusty Micro.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 28
There are 3 or 4 suspects..
AN internal fuse should keep it from even coming on so I'm going to say check it but .. Not likely

A diode. about 16 dollar part
The Magnatron tube: Cost exceeds a new microwave  Replace.
THe control board: I've never priced one
The voltage doubler capicator
The transformer

NOTE: Panasonic has a few more suspects on their inverter models. but they can be lumped under 'CZontrol system"

THe door switches (2) are also on the list but again. won't come on if those are not closed.

Note also: Prices noted are an Amana Radar Rage about 20 years ago when I last replaced a diode.

2 things:

If it is the fuse, replace it with the same type, Microwave ovens generally require special ceramic fuses. 

If it is the magnatron, don't touch it if  you don't know what you are doing as they often contain substances that are hazardous to your health.

Did you check your fuses? Maybe something is just off there and is causing no heat to be generated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom