2005 Minnie Winnie 30V weight limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blues Driver

Looking at the weight limits:
GCWR  20,000
GVWR  14,050  Does this include passenger wt, fuel @55 gal, water@ 41gal, lp @18 gal or other?
GAWR front 4,600
GAWR rear  9,450
4600 + 9450 = 14050
My quick calc indicates gas at 248lb, wtr @ 349, lp@ 90, passengers and dog @ 350. = 1030    Misc. goods  in house. Food, clothing, tools, etc. I don't know what all this means. 
Is there any way to increase the rear GAWR short of replacing the axle?  I have read extensively about weighing, tire pressure etc .
Thanks, 
Pat

The gross vehicle weight rating is the maximum weight the chassis can safely carry - fuel, water, passengers, dogs, cats, etc.

You could go up on the tire load range, but your brakes and axle components are still engineered for that weight rating. The front axle on my Horizon is rated for 12,000 pounds and came equipped with load range G tires which required the tires be run at maximum pressure for the weight. Winnebago basically made a small engineering mistake with weight distribution and the next model year had a front axle rated at 14,400 pounds and load range H tires.

One owner did quite a bit of investigation and discovered that the only difference between the 12k and 14.4k axles was the steering box. So I went to load range H tires and don't worry about running the axle at 12k-13k pounds.

I don't think I can get into F or G without changing tire size/ rims. I think a 17 is the next choice.  Then I'm into speedo, gear, and rear dual clearances. I can live with speedo and gear changes but dual clearances are a real safety concern.

GVWR  14,050  Does this include passenger wt, fuel @55 gal, water@ 41gal, lp @18 gal or other?
Yes, everything in and on the RV.  Whether you have enough GVWR depends on the UVW - the Unladen Vehicle Weight. Some coaches come from the factory with a "dry weight" that is so close to the GVWR that you can carry very little else, while others have plenty of cargo capacity.

Larger Class C models typically use up much of the GVWR with the weight of the coach body and furnishing. The 14,050 GVWR is a fixed limit of the E450 van chassis it is built on, so a larger or more elegant body substantially reduces the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).  There is no practical way to increase the GVWR of the E450 van.

Blues Driver said:
I don't think I can get into F or G without changing tire size/ rims. I think a 17 is the next choice.  Then I'm into speedo, gear, and rear dual clearances. I can live with speedo and gear changes but dual clearances are a real safety concern.
I went to a load range H with the very same tire size, you really don't want to change the physical dimensions and wheel size. Don't assume you can't go up in load range until you check.

My rock crawler Jeep Rubicon now has 37" tires but it took a bunch of modifications to get there.

There is no point in increasing the load range unless the tire is already at its max load capacity. If the recommended psi is less than the tire max load psi, just increase pressure somewhat to get closer to the max. A higher load range gives you the option of running at higher psi, of course, but then you run the risk of a wheel leak or failure if the wheel limit is exceeded.  Probably a low risk, but still a real one.

If you have room, you may be able to go to a slightly wider tire to get increased tire load capacity.  An extra 10-20 mm in width is often doable, but careful measurements are need to be sure there is adequate clearance in turns, at full suspension compression, and in dual tire spacing. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
... A higher load range gives you the option of running at higher psi, of course, but then you run the risk of a wheel leak or failure if the wheel limit is exceeded....
In practical terms, the opposite is true. I was able to run five or ten PSI lower than my LRG tires while increasing weight capacity with LRH. Wheels will be stamped with their max PSI rating, I think mine are rated for 120 PSI.

Blues Driver said:
Looking at the weight limits:
GCWR  20,000
GAWR front 4,600
GAWR rear  9,450
4600 + 9450 = 14050
My quick calc indicates gas at 248lb, wtr @ 349, lp@ 90, passengers and dog @ 350. = 1030    Misc. goods  in house. Food, clothing, tools, etc. I don't know what all this means. 
Is there any way to increase the rear GAWR short of replacing the axle?  I have read extensively about weighing, tire pressure etc .
Thanks, 
Pat
The key here is that you need to get the vehicle weighed.  Once you have that info you can compare it with the maximum limits you've listed above to see how much OCCC capacity you have for water, passengers, supplies, etc.

In practical terms, the opposite is true. I was able to run five or ten PSI lower than my LRG tires while increasing weight capacity with LRH.
Depends on the tire brand and model, so I should not have generalized like that.  Some simply extend the inflation range upward, while others have slightly different load values where it overlaps the lower range.  Sometimes a higher load range has a higher minimum inflation as well.  Always check the load-inflation tables for the range of acceptable loads & psi for each size & load range.

John Canfield replied;
I went to a load range H with the very same tire size, you really don't want to change the physical dimensions and wheel size. Don't assume you can't go up in load range until you check.

John, are you talking about a 16 " tire or larger?  As far as I know the E load range is tops for the 16" tire on the E450 (2006 Minnie Winnie 30V)
Thanks,  Pat

edit by staff - removed yellow color text tag

My wheel is a 22.5", basically the same size wheel and tire as a tractor trailer. On the Jeep forum I administer we have a lot discussions about tires and load range. The guys like a C or D load range for a soft sidewall that can wrap around rocks, etc. Lots of the larger tires that we run (I'm on 37" diameter Nittos) only come in a load range E but not higher. Some come in Load range D - it's highly variable.

For our car hauler trailer I had to hunt around quite a bit to find a light truck tire in D (instead of the crappy Chinese trailer tires) that would fit the wheel and sit inside the fenders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom