no propane to appliances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhoog

I have a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder.  Last night I went to flip on the gas from the LP Gas Detector and it started to beep but no Green light ever came on.  In my previous RV it would beep for 10 seconds then stop and I would have gas.  This one started off with a slow beep then progressed to a rapid beep but still no gas.  I believe the Solenoid shut off valve is bad and just staying closed. Thoughts? All the batteries in the coach are brand new and good.

Perhaps it is the Propane detector that has bit the dust and not operating the solenoid valve as it should. If it is the original detector, it is long past it's "best before" date. Today the recommended longevity is about 10 years. Should you choose to replace it, it will be very difficult to find one with the solenoid operation as that has not been the norm since the late 90's. You will have to remove the solenoid  or bypass it to be able to  use propane and perhaps, if you do find one using the solenoid operation, you may need to replace the existing solenoid anyway, for compatibility reasons. (The solenoid was not simply a 12V operation but some custom voltage developed by the detector.)

yea I cleaned it all off, took it off and cleaned it and no change.  It is the original detector from 1995 so I assume it is long past due for replacement.  I am going to look at a bypass and a new detector to replace it with.

I would say that is a bit past its useful life, those detectors go nose blind over time, and should be replaced about every 5-7 years

You can get a pricey new Saf-T-Alert with it's companion LP shut-off (the old CCI is not compatible), or you can simply remove the old shut-off and use any brand of LP detector you like. An LP shutoff valve has not been a required safety feature in 15+ years.

Just to follow up on what Gary said, the old CCI solenoid valve worked on a strange voltage 9V? and will quickly burn out if connected to a new 12V Safe-T Alert monitor

Back
Top Bottom