What Slide Out Lubricant to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zeusxix

Newbie here...What should I use for the tracks underneath my slide? What should I use for the rubber seals along the edges? My understanding is that I should employ two different lubricant/conditioners. Is it recommended to used these formulas for any other RV parts/surfaces?

They don't need any lubricant - they are very coarse gears that move slowly and seldom, so almost zero wear.  If you feel you MUST use a lubricant, choose a dry silicone type that won't catch dirt. Dirt in the gears is worse than most anything, plus greases and dirt end up on the interior floors when the slide is in.

As far as the seals, they are made of the same material as the door seals on your car. What do you use on them?

It's popular to use a dry lube on the rubber seals. Some treat them with 303 Protectant instead.  I doubt if either makes much difference overall, but it doesn't hurt.  The major problems with slide seals are physical damage from something that gets caught between it and the slide and tears the rubber, or simply that the seal comes loose from the sidewall.

The gear packs should be cleaned and lubed a few times a year depending on what kind of road and weather conditions you travel in..

A brass brush to clean off any corrosion from the track or gear teeth and a coat of dry graphite lubricant will keep them running smooth and quite.. also the bearings on each gear pack should be lube with a few drops of synthetic oil per Lippert PDF on how to service gear packs..

Baby powder applied with a sock to inside and outside edge bulb seals as well as wiper seals will aid in preserving them

Welcome to the RVForum zeusxix. You didn't mention your make/model of RV, but FWIW, our Winnebago owner's manual says you don't need to lube the slide gears (Powergear) and you don't need to treat the slide seals. It does, however, say that if you "choose" to treat the slide seals, use 303, because its properties won't damage the seals.

Kev 

If you have a Schwintek slide system they do not recommend lubing the rails, but do require lubrication of the mechanism riding on the rails and specify using CRC Power Lube with PTFE.  As for the seals, as mentioned Aerospace 303 is an excellent choice I have had success with on many surfaces and I have seen where some wipe the seals down with baby powder, though I have not tried it.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom