rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: I need help identifying this RV accessory  (Read 609 times)

Rymo

• ---
I need help identifying this RV accessory
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Hi, all.  I thought this community would be the best place to reach out for assistance with this.

I have been trying (without luck) to identify an item that is shown inside an RV that is featured in the movie The Lost World:Jurassic Park from 1997.

The RV used in the movie was a highly customized 1996-1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm. I have attached a few photos of the item in question.  Does it look familiar to any of you?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks, -Ryan

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: I need help identifying this RV accessory
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 04:00:07 PM »
Why do you think it's not just a fake movie prop, e.g. just some lights in a board?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rymo

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
Why do you think it's not just a fake movie prop, e.g. just some lights in a board?
Good point. All of the other electronics in the RV that are mounted above the mystery object are real devices that I've been able to identify. HF transceivers, power amplifiers, lighting controllers, rack-mount audio mixers, etc. That's what makes me think that the mystery device is probably a real device as well.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
Looks like several old school high profile external media drives to copy 5 1/4 inch floppy disc,. DVD or CD ROMs.  IOW, a movie prop.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:24:39 PM by Lou Schneider »

ELeland

• ---
  • Jupiter, Florida
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
Flux Capacitor, for sure.
Airstream Land Yacht 365 XC - 3126E Cat
2018 Explorer Sport

jayc2640

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »
Not certain, but it kind of looks like a gang charger for walkie talkies.  I found a picture of a similar one.
- John Coffey
2018 Winnebago Forza 38F
2016 Chevrolet Equinox

1PlasticMan1

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »
I'm going with the prop person's theatrical license.   :))
2016 Bounder 33C
2015 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2
and Frisco

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
They look similar to the hot swappable RAID hard drive setups I had in my pre-retirement server room.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
Don't you guys recognise a Dinosaur Detector when you see one? Sheesh..... :o ::) ;D
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »
I would guess some type of computer RAID hard drive array.      The box on the shelf above it looks a bit like a Sun Sparc Station, not sure which model, at first I thought it was an IPX, but that is wrong, maybe even an early Ultra Sparc of some type.  I know lots of  models it is not, but not sure what it is.      I know for sure it is not a Sparc Station  5, 10, or 20, it is also not an Ultra 1 or 2
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Rymo

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
I would guess some type of computer RAID hard drive array.      The box on the shelf above it looks a bit like a Sun Sparc Station, not sure which model, at first I thought it was an IPX, but that is wrong, maybe even an early Ultra Sparc of some type.  I know lots of  models it is not, but not sure what it is.      I know for sure it is not a Sparc Station  5, 10, or 20, it is also not an Ultra 1 or 2
My first thought was also along those same lines, that it might be a RAID drive array or maybe a tape backup drive, but I haven't been able to find anything from 1996-97 that looks anything like it.

The white device on the shelf above it is a JVC GV-PT2 Multimedia Printer.

Rymo

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 06:15:33 PM »
They look similar to the hot swappable RAID hard drive setups I had in my pre-retirement server room.
I had thought the same thing, but most RAID arrays I've found from the mid-90's are a bit larger.  The device seems to have a brand badge on the lower right corner, but it doesn't ring a bell to me.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »
Don't you guys recognise a Dinosaur Detector when you see one? Sheesh..... :o ::) ;D

I gotta go with Jackie on this one!  :D  If you think you recognize the devise, you are showing your age!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 06:41:54 PM »

The only Dinosaur detector I've ever seen had a big radar screen.....Just saying
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »

Coming from you Jackie, I thought it would have been a Loch Ness Monster detector.   ;D :D ;)
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
Not certain, but it kind of looks like a gang charger for walkie talkies.  I found a picture of a similar one.

looks like the ones we had at county for charging our motorola portables.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »
looks like the ones we had at county for charging our motorola portables.

Similar to the one's we had at the fire station back in the 70's for our radios.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

bigfatguy

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
hard drive array, for large/fast networked data storage. The things that look like levers are because the drives are hot-swappable... if one dies you can just pull it out and swap in a new one.

It's likely a broken piece the movie folks had on hand already... editors use this kind of thing in their non-linear setups.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »
There used to be a surplus yard in Sun Valley (north Los Angeles) that collected all sorts of obsolete electronic detritus, everything from computers to test equipment, individual components to full racks of obsolete equipment. They would ultimately wind up as scrap metal, but before they reached that state Hollywood prop masters would visit on a regular basis to grab pieces for set dressings.

I loved to wander around the place when I was working in Los Angeles in the 1970s and apparently they're still in business. Apex Electronics and Surplus.  Click on the links in the left column for more pictures.  Everything from electronics parts to missle guidance systems, torpoedos and nose cones in life threatening piles that you're free to wander through. Just hope an earthquake doesn't hit while you're there.

Here's a LA Weekly "Best of ..." story about the place:

Best UFO Parts Supply

And the Yelp listing with still more pictures:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/apex-electronics-sun-valley-2?select=uZF3YUOUzo5UhJPmwPchhA
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:45:44 PM by Lou Schneider »

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
In '69 when I was getting ready to graduate high school, I was looking at cars and trying to convince my dad I needed a TR4A-IRS. 
At the same dealer they had the Sunbeam Alpine that had been used in the first couple of seasons of Get Smart.  It was filled with fake gauges and even a fake radar screen hidden behind the radio speaker grille.  Even had a fake machine gun that rose up through a hatch in the hood and the parking brake lever rotated the license plate bracket to change plate numbers.
Dad didn't buy me that one either.  Maybe he was smarter than I gave him credit for at the time.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »
Looks like something out of the BatCave

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »
I would be surprised if the whole thing was a movie set and not even in an RV.  Green screen in the background with computer imposed picture of RV looking forward.  I am sure there was an actual RV for some scenes, but no need to customize one.   Do all the scenes  when driving it with green screen picture of the set looking back, and then all the scenes from the set looking forward.  If you green screen all the windows the RV doesn't even have to move or leave the studio.
2007 Coachman Aurora 36FWS
2006 Mini Cooper S

Rymo

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 01:01:02 PM »
I would be surprised if the whole thing was a movie set and not even in an RV.  Green screen in the background with computer imposed picture of RV looking forward.  I am sure there was an actual RV for some scenes, but no need to customize one.   Do all the scenes  when driving it with green screen picture of the set looking back, and then all the scenes from the set looking forward.  If you green screen all the windows the RV doesn't even have to move or leave the studio.
The photos I posted earlier were indeed shot in the actual RV.  I've been in contact with the person who now owns the original RV that was used in the film, and he verified that the interior of the RV was used for filming. Photos of the interior of his RV match the interior shots shown in the film. Unfortunately, all of the electronics were removed after filming.

Here's a photo he sent me of the cubby where those mystery devices were located.

Rymo

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »
There used to be a surplus yard in Sun Valley (north Los Angeles) that collected all sorts of obsolete electronic detritus, everything from computers to test equipment, individual components to full racks of obsolete equipment. They would ultimately wind up as scrap metal, but before they reached that state Hollywood prop masters would visit on a regular basis to grab pieces for set dressings.

I loved to wander around the place when I was working in Los Angeles in the 1970s and apparently they're still in business. Apex Electronics and Surplus.  Click on the links in the left column for more pictures.  Everything from electronics parts to missle guidance systems, torpoedos and nose cones in life threatening piles that you're free to wander through. Just hope an earthquake doesn't hit while you're there.

Here's a LA Weekly "Best of ..." story about the place:

Best UFO Parts Supply

And the Yelp listing with still more pictures:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/apex-electronics-sun-valley-2?select=uZF3YUOUzo5UhJPmwPchhA

Thanks for the resources!

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »
 :))

Awesome to hear this.
2007 Coachman Aurora 36FWS
2006 Mini Cooper S

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
From the current photo, it appears they may have only installed the front panel and powered up the indicator lights. That would make sense from a set building point of view.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate