Question on fiberglass cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I was cleaning my MH this afternoon and I found a couple of very small cracks on the front fiberglass cap lower area that are at what i described in the beginning stage, just like a cut.  They are 1/8 - 1/4 inch wide. What I can do to avoid a bigger problem?  Should I put proflex or silicone over them to avoid a leak? Any other ideas to avoid they get bigger?

A 1/8"-1/4" gap?  That is huge and I would be alarmed. No reason for that much cracking on an almost new roof cap.
Definitely seal it - you don't want water intrusion.

I agree spiderweb like cracks in fiberglass are common as it ages, anything bigger is a cause for concern.

Agree with the other responses especially kdbgoat, I too would be calling the manufacturer.  You might consider taking photos before sealing as Gary suggested then perhaps after sealing to fully document.

Are they 1/4" wide or 1/4" long.  Or are they small stress cracks 1/4" apart from each other. If they are 1/4" wide that's a huge hole. We need more info.

What would you recommend to seal them? Proflex? Silicone?

If they are 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide I would be looking for structural causes not a bandaid fix with sealant.

If you look at the Coachmen website in contact us tab, there are phone numbers of people to talk to. Wayne used to be the person I dealt with, but he's not there now. It looks like a gentleman named Jason is the person that you would talk to now. If Jason is half as helpful as Wayne was, you should have no problems getting straight answers. I have just as good of service from Coachmen as I hear folks do from Tiffan.

Yes seal it now until another solution appears. Do NOT use silicone, there are many better acrylic based sealers available

Proflex would be a good choice, but so is Dicor lap sealant or most any exterior-grade window & door sealant. Silicone would work, but is well down the list of choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom