Household Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

My wonderful Dometic fridge went from working perfectly to stinky ammonia death.

I replaced with a household fridge.

My power bills were way over the top and many said it was the absorption fridge that runs the power up high.

I bought an energy star household fridge.

Will I see any difference in the power bill or is that just old wives tales?

Inquiring minds want to know.  8)

Agree with Dutch.  In electric mode an absorption fridge runs pretty much non-stop during the day, so it sucks a lot of power  (225-300 watts per hour). An Energy Star,  compressor-driven residential fridge is much better insulated so the compressor typically runs only 20-25% of the time and modern fridge compressors only use about 200 watts (20% x 200 = 40).

No old wives' tales are necessary since the invention of the kill-a-watt.

You didn't say how big your absorption refrigerator was.  I have a 4-door Norcold and recently it's been using 6.5 kwh/day.  Residential refrigerators use about 1.5 kwh/day (from looking at the labels on them and dividing the yearly usage by 365).

When my RV refer died a few years ago in my class A I replaced it with two small apartment refers. My electricity bill went down by $20 a month. Now I have the fiver with a horrible RV refer and I am hoping it will eventually die since my bill went back up.

Back
Top Bottom