Repairing rusty spot in wet bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

I have what seems like a simple question.  I am a new(ish) owner of a 2003 Fleetwood DP.  For a 15 year old rig it is in great shape - everything works as it should and it is well maintained.  I am 50.12% handy so I would appreciate any feedback on my question below.  My handiwork at home has been adventurous at times. 

In the photo there are areas of rush on the bottom edge of the black metal.  I assume I should repair this before it gets worse.  I am thinking of using a wire brush on the rusty areas and then using a spray-can paint like Rustoleum to cover it up.  I believe I need to do this in the warmer months of the year as I don't have heated indoor storage.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Water System.jpg
    Water System.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 56
I use a wire brush to remove scale, then treat with Ospho or other "rust converter" product to treat whatever might be left, and then paint with any kind of durable paint.  Rustoleum no longer has any unique ingredients for rusty surfaces, so it's no more (or less) effective than another good brand. For the door edges, I've found it easier to brush than to spray.

If you use a "rust converter" don't clean it to bare metal, just remove any flakes.  You can get rust converter at almost any auto parts store or Walmart.

I would then put some kind a pad in there but is has to have holes so it can breath.  If water gets under the mat, you want it to dry out. 

https://www.amazon.com/SafetyCare-Flexible-Drainage-Rubber-Floor-x/dp/B017M4OOW6/ref=sr_1_50?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1544230787&sr=1-50

I used Rustoleum rusty metal primer on the eave vents on my house. (they were steel). Cleaned as much rust off as i could and the painted with the primer.
Wait at least 24 hours before top coating with any good exterior metal  enamel. It's been 2 years and no sign of rust returning.

Back
Top Bottom