Still Puzzled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I still scratch my head about this one.

Hit and run in reverse?

I was in a minor accident with my motorhome and a stranger in a car.

It was clearly my fault.

However, the stranger shot off at 70 miles an hour!

Initially I chased him thinking he knew of some safe spot to pull over and trade insurance companies.

But it was clear he wanted nothing to do with me as he rapidly changed lanes and did all he could to lose me.

I ended up pulling over to check damages and make a note of this odd occurrence in my log book.

Was he unlicensed? Stolen car? Trunk full of drugs?

Had no idea he was involved in a collision?

I still wonder about that.

May be the stranger thought it was his fault.
If so the last laugh is on him.

Jack L

I would guess he had warrants.....So while your insurance is fixing his car...He won't be needing it for next 5 to 7 years.....Unless he gets time off for good behavior.

Mine was the opposite: I was driving late at night after an ice storm in Austin, in a small Chevy two-door, when I decided that it was silly to keep going, and pulled off the road into a parking lot to wait for morning. I awoke to a police officer knocking on the window, saying that the Winnebago now parked on the other side of the lot claimed that I had hit them while on the road, and ran off to park here. After I told him that I hadn't hit anyone, he inspected my car for damage, which would be easy to find if I had hit an RV. Finding none, he decided that they were mistaken, and sent them on their way...

Rene T said:
Hope your insurance company doesn't give you a hard time.

I didn't bother my insurance company. I have no tickets and no wrecks so I didn't want to stain my reputation. I was able to buff out the mess, it wasn't much of a collision.

It was the dog's fault and he is unlicensed, so better I just keep my mouth shut and wonder about the guy that ran off.  ::)

I had the same thing happen to me last year in CA's Central Valley.

I pulled over to exchange insurance information, the other driver didn't so I followed him.  When he noticed me, he sped up like a cat with his tail on fire and disappeared down a side road.

My guess is he was in this country illegally and didn't want the police attention.

I reported the accident to my insurance company along with his license number, explaining there was no chargeable damage to my vehicle. Never heard anything further about it.

True story:  Two people had a minor fender bender. Troopers arrived and wrote it up. gave the at-fault a ticket and sent him on his way. This made the victim very mad as he wanted the at fault to go to jail (I mean it was just a fender bender no need to jail him) The troopers explained that it was not a jail-worthy offense. However... YOU (The victim) have an outstanding warrant so we have to arrest you.> With that he hauled off and slugged ther trooper in the solar plexus as hard as he could.  Troopers wear flack vests. He liked to break his hand when he hit the vest.. So not he is screaming in agony as trooper returns the blow.. now he can't breath haveing the breath knocked out of him. PLUS he is under arrest for a FELONY (was a misdemeanor) assault on a law enforcement officer.

Really and truly happened.  I was not there..  but I was the disptacher who informed the trooper of the outstanding warrrant.

Wow, these stories! Mine wasn't a car, but my dog attacked someone who rode his bike past the dog on a side walk while his human collected his waste from the grass. Dog jumped on the rider and the rider took off all bloodied and screaming and swear about the f-ing dog. He wouldn't stop to give any information. In part it was a relief because I didn't get sued, but I felt awful and wanted to take care of it.

Side note- looooong story short, a trainer saved his life. As a last resort before I thought I would have to put him down for aggressiveness, a personal trainer came to the house every week and he is a totally different dog. I'm so thankful because he's pretty much the perfect pet now and before that he was a massive liability.

In Ca if you leave the scene of a collision and fail to stop and ID, that now makes you Party-1 (the at fault party). Generally when that occurs it's for one of the reasons mentioned already, or the driver was under the influence of something and has no desire to talk face to face with a LEO.  Not uncommon at all these days.

John From Detroit said:
True story:  Two people had a minor fender bender. Troopers arrived and wrote it up. gave the at-fault a ticket and sent him on his way. This made the victim very mad as he wanted the at fault to go to jail (I mean it was just a fender bender no need to jail him) The troopers explained that it was not a jail-worthy offense. However... YOU (The victim) have an outstanding warrant so we have to arrest you.> With that he hauled off and slugged ther trooper in the solar plexus as hard as he could.  Troopers wear flack vests. He liked to break his hand when he hit the vest.. So not he is screaming in agony as trooper returns the blow.. now he can't breath haveing the breath knocked out of him. PLUS he is under arrest for a FELONY (was a misdemeanor) assault on a law enforcement officer.

Really and truly happened.  I was not there..  but I was the disptacher who informed the trooper of the outstanding warrrant.
Similar thing happened to a friend of mine I was with him and he hit this guy's car both weren't going anywhere and the guy was upset.  We where at fault but his licence had been expired for 7 years. They arrested him  and we caught a cab.

You covered most of it.

Stoned to the bone
No lic
WANTED
50 pounds of pot
Big meth haul.......

Lou Schneider said:
I reported the accident to my insurance company along with his license number, explaining there was no chargeable damage to my vehicle. Never heard anything further about it.

I didn't bother reporting anything to the insurance company. But I did pull over, take pics and wrote down what happened in my log book.

My biggest fear of fender benders is road rage. Some people act like their car is their entire life and they fail to speak at a normal volume.

I will add sometimes when car hits Semi.. The Semi driver is unaware of impact... In one case I know of the Semi was off the side of the road (So far that both the police and EMS were able to pull up BESIDE each other beside the semi and STILL not block a lane) He'd been told he had a flat (NOT) and had just finished hammering his tires to confirm he did now and was hit as he climbed back into the cab.> had he been moving he'd never have felt it... The volkswagen "Thing" that hit him.. Well it was a Vanagan before it hit.. Yes. it was a fatal.. I had the task of tracking down Next of Kin so Troopers could notify... NOT easy the man had done a good job of hiding his family.. I was better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom